From: Nick Friend on
I'm doing a little investigation about using MS Word. Automation
through OLEAutoObject is straightforward enough, but what about
embedding Word in a VO window?

I want to be able to carry out traditional OCX embedding, showing a
doucment in view mode, then double click to activate full editing...
is anyone doing this who can offer some tips?

TIA

Nick
From: Geoff Schaller on
You will have trouble all the way.

I suggest you rethink this.

From: Nick Friend on
Geoff,

What exactly makes you say this?

Nick

From: Geoff Schaller on
4 years of experience <g>.

Let's start from the start: what are you really trying to achieve? I
suspect it is a document viewer. Ok, we do such things in C# using the
MS Office Tools for Visual Studio and related APIs. Here it is
relatively easy to embed Word but the issue is whether this is
appropriate. Imagine someone trying to embed your application into
another? What do you do about menus, toolbars, MDI/SDI interface
choices, closing Word, multiple instances, what if Word is already open,
etc, etc.

It is a mine field.

Another way is to use a web browser to display a word doc and embedding
a web browser in a VO app is a damned sight easier than embedding Word
directly but it still comes with interface issues.

I still think the simplest way is to get on to codeplex and find a
document viewer in C# and do it that way. But MS Word is a very complex
application with options the user can set that will upset this process.

Geoff

From: Nick Friend on
I'm not looking at this option from choice!

Thing is I need to review and hopefully improve a lot of code written
by someone else.... the application uses Word as a document viewer,
but also (and more importantly) as the editor. At the moment Word is
being embedded and controlled via a 3rd party OCX "shell" (soemthing
called Edraw Officeviewer) in datawindows. But this is pretty slow and
painful as it seems that instances of Word are being started and
closed frequently (and somewhat .

So I'm just trying to get some information together about possible
solutions.... already the idea is to replace all viewing instances
with a light-weight 3rd party doc viewer, and when editing is
necessary swap into Word itself. But I'm curious as to why the
original developer chose to wrap Word in the container OCX, and want
to do some experiments working directly with Word.

Doing some experimenting, it seems oddly inconsistent.... I've found
that when activating the Word olecontrol for editing, sometimes it
opens within the VO shell (adding the Word toolbar to the VO shell)
and sometimes it opens a separate instance of Word in it's own
window.... strange. Is it possible to force the datawindow containing
the OLE control to be the "owner" so that the Word toolbar is placed
on the datawindow instead of the shell? This would immediately
simplify user-interface questions by completely containing the Word
interface into the datawindow.

Nick