From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 12/04/2010 23:00, in article
c6udnRvwl6KQBV7WnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> On 11/04/2010 21:17, in article
>> GfWdnSwgKdvDs1_WnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."

>>> why?
>>> George
>>
>> Because most drummers will trigger the limiter unamplified, so it'll end
>> up
>> being an acoustic gig without PA.
>>
>> Might as well stay at home if there's nothing to mix.
>>
>> Went to a band rehearsal today (yes, I'm one of those engineers who
>> actually
>> rehearses with the bands) and the guys were hitting 98 dB(A) without any
>> PA.
>>
> at 105(c weighted) in the house( front of audience) I shut it down
> George

That's a sensible figure, IMHO. I rarely get more than 102 dB at the desk. I
usually try to keep it below 100.

But that's a long way from 85.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> On 12/04/2010 23:00, in article
> c6udnRvwl6KQBV7WnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>>> On 11/04/2010 21:17, in article
>>> GfWdnSwgKdvDs1_WnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."

>>> Because most drummers will trigger the limiter unamplified, so it'll end
>>> up
>>> being an acoustic gig without PA.
>>>
>>> Might as well stay at home if there's nothing to mix.
>>>
>>> Went to a band rehearsal today (yes, I'm one of those engineers who
>>> actually
>>> rehearses with the bands) and the guys were hitting 98 dB(A) without any
>>> PA.
>>>
>> at 105(c weighted) in the house( front of audience) I shut it down
>> George
>
> That's a sensible figure, IMHO. I rarely get more than 102 dB at the desk.
> usually try to keep it below 100.
>
> But that's a long way from 85.
most venues in the USA are still clueless, or simply dont care, I establish
my own limits roughly based on OSHA(occupational saftey and health
administration) guideline, I have one venue with a 90dB ceiling at any point
in the venue they feel like measuring and one town was mad at a outdoor
hippy fest site , so the town enacted a noise limit of 120dB at the property
edge, a mile and a half from the stage !!!!
george

From: Ron on
On 13/04/2010 12:25, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "Joe Kotroczo"<kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> On 12/04/2010 23:00, in article
>> c6udnRvwl6KQBV7WnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
>> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> "Joe Kotroczo"<kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

>>> at 105(c weighted) in the house( front of audience) I shut it down
>>> George
>>
>> That's a sensible figure, IMHO. I rarely get more than 102 dB at the desk.
>> usually try to keep it below 100.
>>
>> But that's a long way from 85.
> most venues in the USA are still clueless, or simply dont care, I establish
> my own limits roughly based on OSHA(occupational saftey and health
> administration) guideline, I have one venue with a 90dB ceiling at any point
> in the venue they feel like measuring and one town was mad at a outdoor
> hippy fest site , so the town enacted a noise limit of 120dB at the property
> edge, a mile and a half from the stage !!!!
> george

For a small jazz festival here in a local park, following whinges from
the rich buggers who live nearby, the local licensing office set a 60db
limit at the park gates hundreds of metres away. He subsequently found
it difficult to take any meaningful readings as the birds singing in the
trees were over 60db.
When questioned about the permissible levels on weekends when brass
bands were playing acoustically, he got all confused and said it wasn't
a problem because people like brass bands!

Give a man a badge and he'll wear it with pride...

Ron(UK)
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Words to fear