From: Richard Webb on
On Sun 2038-Apr-11 11:30, Steve writes:

> Another favorite:

> "We don't need a sound check"
Yah I like that one too.

> My reply:

"> "Fine. Then you don't "need" monitors?"

Yah, that's mine too. What I like even better when planning a meeting or convention is:

"We don't need sound reinforcement."

Perfect example: I went to a hamfest yesterday, and there
was meetings in a meeting space upstairs from the
multipurpose space, former gymnasium, where the main event
was held.

Inner city Memphis area. POtentially over a hundred folks
might decide to attend the largest of these meetings in the
upstairs conference facility.

BUilding was right next to the railroad tracks, on a busy
street which is also a U.s> highway, four lane on further
east in fact.

I"m sitting in this meeting, knowing there won't be any sr
for the meeting I quit looking at the flea markets stuff and head upstairs to get a seat fairly close to the front so I
can hear the speakers. But, I heard little of one speaker
as he mumbles into the tabletop. First we had the emergency vehicle siren, then the guy on the PA downstairs calling out the lucky winner of a prize or two, then ... yes folks, the train!!!

By the time the train quit blowing its whistle and passed us by this speaker was finished. I don't think I ended up
hearing anything but his who am I and this is what I want to talk about intro <grin>.
A couple of speakers on sticks and a microphone sure owuld
have helped that out.

Regards,
Richard

Remote audio in the MEmphis, Tn area: see www.gatasound.com

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> A dreaded one:
>
> "The house engineer doesn't let anybody else touch the mixer."
>
> or
>
> "The venue has a limiter that cuts the power on stage if you go over 85
> dB(A)."

why?
George

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 11/04/2010 21:17, in article
GfWdnSwgKdvDs1_WnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> A dreaded one:
>>
>> "The house engineer doesn't let anybody else touch the mixer."
>>
>> or
>>
>> "The venue has a limiter that cuts the power on stage if you go over 85
>> dB(A)."
>>

> why?
> George

Because most drummers will trigger the limiter unamplified, so it'll end up
being an acoustic gig without PA.

Might as well stay at home if there's nothing to mix.

Went to a band rehearsal today (yes, I'm one of those engineers who actually
rehearses with the bands) and the guys were hitting 98 dB(A) without any PA.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Denny Strauser on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 16:30, in article hpsptp$8io$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "Steve M"
> <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Another favorite:
>>
>> "We don't need a sound check"
>>
>> My reply:
>>
>> "Fine. Then you don't "need" monitors?"
>
> A dreaded one:
> "The house engineer doesn't let anybody else touch the mixer."
> or
> "The venue has a limiter that cuts the power on stage if you go over 85
> dB(A)."

Now that's what I call a noise gate ....
- Denny
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 11/04/2010 21:17, in article
> GfWdnSwgKdvDs1_WnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>> A dreaded one:
>>>
>>> "The house engineer doesn't let anybody else touch the mixer."
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> "The venue has a limiter that cuts the power on stage if you go over 85
>>> dB(A)."
>>>

>> why?
>> George
>
> Because most drummers will trigger the limiter unamplified, so it'll end
> up
> being an acoustic gig without PA.
>
> Might as well stay at home if there's nothing to mix.
>
> Went to a band rehearsal today (yes, I'm one of those engineers who
> actually
> rehearses with the bands) and the guys were hitting 98 dB(A) without any
> PA.

at 105(c weighted) in the house( front of audience) I shut it down
George

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Words to fear