From: Stuart Miller on

"WeetHetNeet" <noone(a)telenet.be> wrote in message
> Syd Hancock wrote:
>
>>> Windows does this cleverly, especially XP. It boots as usual
>>> but without the network drive, but after switching on the other
>>> computer and simply
>>> clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it. Can
>>> Linux do that?
>>
>> 'linux' doesn't but KDE in Mandriva has had this facility for at
>> least a year (MDV 2006). Click on the icon for the remote drive
>> in the Devices folder on the desktop.
>>
>> Next question?
>
> Yes, sorry I know that. But how do I get Amarok to point at a remote
> drive?
> HB

Why?
To play something, navigate to it and click or drag & drop
It may not be wise to catalogue things in you music database when they are
not always available

From: Syd Hancock on
WeetHetNeet wrote:

> Syd Hancock wrote:
>
>>> Windows does this cleverly, especially XP. ?It boots as usual
>>> but without the network drive, but after switching on the
>>> other computer and simply
>>> clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it.
>>> Can Linux do that?
>>
>> 'linux' doesn't but KDE in Mandriva has had this facility for
>> at least a year (MDV 2006). Click on the icon for the remote
>> drive in the ?Devices folder on the desktop.
>>
>> Next question?
>
> Yes, sorry I know that. But how do I get Amarok to point at a
> remote drive? HB

Hmm, different question - no mention of Amarok in the original
post. I answered the one you asked about XP being better than
'linux' by explaining that it can do the same thing... your
first post seemed like a troll hence the abrupt reply.

Anyway, moving on, what is it that happens in XP that doesn't
happen when you use linux? Does Amarok point automatically to a
remote drive in XP which is what you now seem to be asking how
to do? And what version are you using - this is a Mandriva group
so presumably you are using a version of Mandriva?

Syd
From: Walter Mautner on
WeetHetNeet enlightened us alt.os.linux.mandrake-(ab)users with:

> Hi,
> I keep all my music and photos on my own computer but turn that off as
> much as possible to save energy.
> I have another computer in the lounge that I use as a PVR, but also to
> listen to music and see photos. At present I have set my computer to
> share
> a drive and my PVR to mount this drive when it boots (using MCC). But
> that is no good if my PVR boots when my computer is not on, and I have
> to use the command line or MCC to mount it.
> Windows does this cleverly, especially XP. It boots as usual but
> without the network drive, but after switching on the other computer
> and simply
> clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it. Can Linux
> do that?

I am using autofs for that purpose. It is versatile enough to configure
different timeouts (time after which a share is auto-unmounted if not
used anymore) for different types of connections.
I use it for
- cifs-mounting my S.O.'s windowsXP shares
- ntfs-3g or captive for my own NTFS partitions
- ftpfs for sites like ftp.kernel.org
- sshfs at 0rkplace for remote branch office servers
- nfs at w0rkplace for our solaris-servers
- and last but not least my external usb hd, flash drives and so on ....

I even tried gmailfs with that one, but the performance was miserable :)

What I do to have permanent mount points for graphical filemanagers,
amarok etc., is to generate symlinks to /mnt/* once mounted
in /lan, /misc, /sshfs or wherever.

From: WeetHetNeet on
Syd Hancock wrote:

> Hmm, different question - no mention of Amarok in the original
> post. I answered the one you asked about XP being better than
> 'linux' by explaining that it can do the same thing... your
> first post seemed like a troll hence the abrupt reply.
>
> Anyway, moving on, what is it that happens in XP that doesn't
> happen when you use linux? Does Amarok point automatically to a
> remote drive in XP which is what you now seem to be asking how
> to do? And what version are you using - this is a Mandriva group
> so presumably you are using a version of Mandriva?

The questions are of course linked. Amarok searches a directory when it
starts up to look for changes etc. With the latest version it does not get
so phased when that directory is not there, but in the case where the PVR
starts before the network drive, it would be good if, after the network
drive has been started, the simple attempt to access the directory by
Amarok would be enough to mount it. I admit I don't know whether XP can do
that for certain, although I suspect it can.

I feel as though someone is going to suggest a little start up script....

HB
From: Syd Hancock on
WeetHetNeet wrote:

> Syd Hancock wrote:
>
>> Anyway, moving on, what is it that happens in XP that doesn't
>> happen when you use linux? Does Amarok point automatically to
>> a remote drive in XP which is what you now seem to be asking
>> how to do? And what version are you using - this is a Mandriva
>> group so presumably you are using a version of Mandriva?
>
> The questions are of course linked. Amarok searches a
> directory when it
> starts up to look for changes etc. With the latest version it
> does not get so phased when that directory is not there, but in
> the case where the PVR starts before the network drive, it
> would be good if, after the network drive has been started, the
> simple attempt to access the directory by
> Amarok would be enough to mount it. I admit I don't know
> whether XP can do that for certain, although I suspect it can.
>
> I feel as though someone is going to suggest a little start up
> script....
>
> HB

Your question was:
"but after switching on the other computer and simply
clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it. Can
Linux do that?"

This has been answered - yes it can. Now you want something
different - for a drive to be mounted automatically when an
application tries to access it.

No application can access a drive until it is seen by the
operating system. Neither linux nor XP nor any other flavour of
windows. If the OS cannot see the drive then neither can any
application - so logically no application can cause it to be
mounted. OK so far?

Right, now Windows may automatically mount any other shared
windows drive on the network - that is what happens on my home
network of mixed Win98, XP and linux machines (drives on linux
shared with samba). You may need to 'click on the icon' just as
you described in your original question.

So, can share drives using samba or else use nfs with the mounts
set up to keep probing for the drive until it finds it. NFS
should then mount the exported drives without needing to click
on any icons. Once the drive is mounted then Amarok or anything
else will be able to see it and access it.

I don't think you need a script, just correctly configured
networking.

And - which version of mandriva are you using?
HTH
Syd