From: WeetHetNeet on
Hi,
I keep all my music and photos on my own computer but turn that off as much
as possible to save energy.
I have another computer in the lounge that I use as a PVR, but also to
listen to music and see photos. At present I have set my computer to share
a drive and my PVR to mount this drive when it boots (using MCC). But that
is no good if my PVR boots when my computer is not on, and I have to use
the command line or MCC to mount it.
Windows does this cleverly, especially XP. It boots as usual but without
the network drive, but after switching on the other computer and simply
clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it. Can Linux do
that?
HB
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 02 October 2006 21:17, WeetHetNeet stood up and addressed the
masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

> Hi,
> I keep all my music and photos on my own computer but turn that off as
> much as possible to save energy.
> I have another computer in the lounge that I use as a PVR, but also to
> listen to music and see photos. At present I have set my computer to
> share a drive and my PVR to mount this drive when it boots (using MCC).
> But that is no good if my PVR boots when my computer is not on, and I have
> to use the command line or MCC to mount it.

I believe /autofs/ should be able to handle remote filesystems adequately.
Try using that instead of "hard-mounting" the remote filesystem at boot
time.

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Syd Hancock on
WeetHetNeet wrote:
> Windows does this cleverly, especially XP. It boots as usual
> but without the network drive, but after switching on the other
> computer and simply
> clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it. Can
> Linux do that?

'linux' doesn't but KDE in Mandriva has had this facility for at
least a year (MDV 2006). Click on the icon for the remote drive
in the Devices folder on the desktop.

Next question?

Syd
Norwich UK
From: Amund on
WeetHetNeet wrote:

> Hi,
> I keep all my music and photos on my own computer but turn that off as
> much as possible to save energy.
> I have another computer in the lounge that I use as a PVR, but also to
> listen to music and see photos. At present I have set my computer to
> share
> a drive and my PVR to mount this drive when it boots (using MCC). But
> that is no good if my PVR boots when my computer is not on, and I have to
> use the command line or MCC to mount it.
> Windows does this cleverly, especially XP. It boots as usual but without
> the network drive, but after switching on the other computer and simply
> clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it. Can Linux do
> that?
> HB

Instead of mounting, you can you fish/scp in kde-applications.

When you open or save file with applications that use the standard
KDE-filedialog, you can specify the destination on this form in the
location field:
fish://username(a)host/folder

Then you can browse around and select the file-name. And you can use the
remote filesystem almost as it was mounted on you local host.

This works if you run sshd on the remote computer. If the username is the
same on both computers, then you don't have to specify it in the url. And
if you are using ssh-keys for authentication, then you normally don't have
to enter password.

Amund
From: WeetHetNeet on
Syd Hancock wrote:

>> Windows does this cleverly, especially XP. ?It boots as usual
>> but without the network drive, but after switching on the other
>> computer and simply
>> clicking on the network drive in WinXP it then mounts it. ?Can
>> Linux do that?
>
> 'linux' doesn't but KDE in Mandriva has had this facility for at
> least a year (MDV 2006). Click on the icon for the remote drive
> in the ?Devices folder on the desktop.
>
> Next question?

Yes, sorry I know that. But how do I get Amarok to point at a remote drive?
HB