From: Rick on
1.) Which programs will allow you to write a formula that will be
converted to the type equivalent of a formula?

2.) What software/plugins does a student need to view the formulas?

3.)Can a student later copy-and-paste bits of the formula to make
his/her own custom forumla?

Thanks!!!
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:59:38 -0800, Rick <someone(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>1.) Which programs will allow you to write a formula that will be
>converted to the type equivalent of a formula?
>
>2.) What software/plugins does a student need to view the formulas?
>
>3.)Can a student later copy-and-paste bits of the formula to make
>his/her own custom forumla?
>
>Thanks!!!

None that I've seen. Why do you want/need to convert the writing to
type? I don't think you'd get very good accuracy with the complexitiy
of some formulas and the use of additional characters.

You can copy parts of your formula to make another one. Handwriting
is just like text, each individual piece of writing can be copied,
pasted, etc.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Rick on
Hi Steve,

I thought I heard about some education pack that was released by MS a
couple of years ago. I would like to do this as a way for a teacher to
be able to write on a tablet during a lecture and at the end to have it
convert to type so it could be give to students.

If not converted, what would be the best program for a teacher to just
handwrite formulas into that could later be uploaded to a website for
students to download and review?

Thanks.

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:59:07 -0800, Rick <someone(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi Steve,
>
>I thought I heard about some education pack that was released by MS a
>couple of years ago. I would like to do this as a way for a teacher to
>be able to write on a tablet during a lecture and at the end to have it
>convert to type so it could be give to students.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d346916-b526-487e-919d-0bce568def39&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4861aad3-1d67-4b02-bfd5-4add1879d3dc&DisplayLang=en
Hmm, you're right, there is an education pack with an equation writer
for the XP tablet edition and Vista. Now that I see the contents I
think I may have looked at it years ago

>If not converted, what would be the best program for a teacher to just
>handwrite formulas into that could later be uploaded to a website for
>students to download and review?

Depends on what the students have, if they have Tablets, MS Journal or
MS OneNote would be one solution, the handwriting wouldn't even need
to be converted.

Otherwise, the simplest way would be to print or save to PDF. Of
course, this limits the student's ability to manipulate it

From: Rick on
They will not have tablets. I was hoping for an easy way for the faculty
member to be able to write equations for them and then for them to be
able to share the documents someway and for students to be able to copy
and paste different parts of the equations into different solutions in
either Word or some other type of documents.