From: Tony Houghton on
My DVB card's remote control presents itself as an input device.
Unfortunately X seems to think it's an extra keyboard, which causes
problems, and I can't find a way to get X to ignore it. I thought if I
specified Option "Device" in the keyboard InputDevice section it might
make it use only the proper keyboard, but I can't find anything that
looks like a keyboard in /dev other than /dev/input/event0, and
specifying that causes X to read garbage from the keyboard.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Tony Houghton on
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:17:14 +0000
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> My DVB card's remote control presents itself as an input device.
> Unfortunately X seems to think it's an extra keyboard, which causes
> problems, and I can't find a way to get X to ignore it. I thought if I
> specified Option "Device" in the keyboard InputDevice section it might
> make it use only the proper keyboard, but I can't find anything that
> looks like a keyboard in /dev other than /dev/input/event0, and
> specifying that causes X to read garbage from the keyboard.

In case this is of use to anyone else, I eventually found a way to fix
it. I ended up with this configuration in xorg.conf for my core
keyboard:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

I was using the "keyboard" driver before, which is presumably why it
didn't understand /dev/input/event0. Before changing the keyboard
driver, I'd also added the following sections. I don't know whether
they're needed in conjunction with the above InputDevice section, but
they didn't do what I wanted until I modified it as above.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "DVB Remote"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "false"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...

[snip]
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "DVB Remote"
> Driver "evdev"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
> Option "SendCoreEvents" "false"
> EndSection
[snip]

You might want to use /dev/input/by-*/... there. I've had problems with DVB
IR receivers not always being registered in the same order (and with the old
Philips-based Nova-T cards, not always with the same PCI subdevice number!),
though in my case the problems were manifest with LIRC.

| <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

10 WHILE TRUE:PRINT "Hello world!":ENDWHILE
From: Tony Houghton on
On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 15:41:47 +0000
Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

> I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...
>
> [snip]
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "DVB Remote"
> > Driver "evdev"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
> > Option "SendCoreEvents" "false"
> > EndSection
> [snip]
>
> You might want to use /dev/input/by-*/... there. I've had problems with DVB
> IR receivers not always being registered in the same order (and with the old
> Philips-based Nova-T cards, not always with the same PCI subdevice number!),
> though in my case the problems were manifest with LIRC.

I'll bear that in mind, although I've always found them in the order of
which slot they're in. I hope I don't have your problem, because if I
can't rely on the device numbers I suppose that rules out
/dev/input/by-path, and the IR devices don't appear in /dev/input/by-id.

Lirc is too complicated, ad hoc and incompatible with input devices IMO,
even with inputlirc. I find it much easier to have boxstar read the
input device directly and feed commands to VDR, xine and mplayer through
their tcp and stdin interfaces respectively. Even without boxstar I
think it would be easier to write a bespoke program to do that than set
up something based on lirc!

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Tony Houghton on
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 22:10:25 +0000
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:17:14 +0000
> Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > My DVB card's remote control presents itself as an input device.
> > Unfortunately X seems to think it's an extra keyboard, which causes

[Snip]

> In case this is of use to anyone else, I eventually found a way to fix
> it. I ended up with this configuration in xorg.conf for my core
> keyboard:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> Driver "evdev"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
> Option "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection

This doesn't quite work after all. If I press the 4 button on my remote
at any time, X quits/crashes with no reason given in its log!

I'm now stuck with the original problem that X responds to IR keypresses
as if they're a keyboard - even though I've removed
xserver-xorg-input-evdev!

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk