From: Richard Kimber on
I have had a perfectly good working Ubuntu 7.10 system with the nvidia
driver. Until I bought a new mouse and edited the mouse section of
xorg.conf (though I'm not convinced that has anything to do with it - it was
something else involved in the reboot I'm sure) I had 1280x1024.

The mouse works fine, but X now insists on using xorg.conf.failsafe instead
of xorg.conf. Neither a complete re-configuration of X, nor a re-boot, nor
re-starting X from the login screen (ctrl-alt-Backsp) will shift it back to
the normal xorg.conf setup.

Something, somewhere is passing the 'failsafe' option to the xserver.

Anyone any ideas how I can make it use the normal conf file? I'm fed up
with 800x600.

--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/
From: Ian on
On 29 Dec, 19:28, Richard Kimber <rkim...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I have had a perfectly good working Ubuntu 7.10 system with the nvidia
> driver. Until I bought a new mouse and edited the mouse section of
> xorg.conf (though I'm not convinced that has anything to do with it - it was
> something else involved in the reboot I'm sure) I had 1280x1024.
>
> The mouse works fine, but X now insists on using xorg.conf.failsafe instead
> of xorg.conf. Neither a complete re-configuration of X, nor a re-boot, nor
> re-starting X from the login screen (ctrl-alt-Backsp) will shift it back to
> the normal xorg.conf setup.
>
> Something, somewhere is passing the 'failsafe' option to the xserver.
>
> Anyone any ideas how I can make it use the normal conf file? I'm fed up
> with 800x600.

Sounds like a typo lurking in xorg.conf. Can you change the failsafe
one to 1280x1024?

Ian
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:28:23 +0000, Richard Kimber wrote:

> I have had a perfectly good working Ubuntu 7.10 system with the nvidia
> driver. Until I bought a new mouse and edited the mouse section of
> xorg.conf (though I'm not convinced that has anything to do with it - it
> was something else involved in the reboot I'm sure) I had 1280x1024.
>
> The mouse works fine, but X now insists on using xorg.conf.failsafe
> instead of xorg.conf. Neither a complete re-configuration of X, nor a
> re-boot, nor re-starting X from the login screen (ctrl-alt-Backsp) will
> shift it back to the normal xorg.conf setup.
>
> Something, somewhere is passing the 'failsafe' option to the xserver.
>
> Anyone any ideas how I can make it use the normal conf file? I'm fed up
> with 800x600.

Personally I never found ubuntu very user friendly and I would suggest a
move over to debian (either stable or testing).

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
From: Chris Davies on
Neil Ellwood <cral.elllwood2(a)bt.openworld.com> wrote:
> Personally I never found ubuntu very user friendly and I would suggest a
> move over to debian (either stable or testing).

That's a novel concept. As a Debian user I always understood Ubuntu to
be the (independent) "friendly face" of Debian based computing...?

I like Debian because it does what I expect. The once or twice I've tried
the *ubuntu distributions they've tried to "help" me in ways that I don't
want helping. Great for not-really-techies, I'm sure, but they're not
(currently) for me unless I quit fiddling.

Chris
From: Folderol on
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:55:25 +0000
Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:

> Neil Ellwood <cral.elllwood2(a)bt.openworld.com> wrote:
> > Personally I never found ubuntu very user friendly and I would suggest a
> > move over to debian (either stable or testing).
>
> That's a novel concept. As a Debian user I always understood Ubuntu to
> be the (independent) "friendly face" of Debian based computing...?
>
> I like Debian because it does what I expect. The once or twice I've tried
> the *ubuntu distributions they've tried to "help" me in ways that I don't
> want helping. Great for not-really-techies, I'm sure, but they're not
> (currently) for me unless I quit fiddling.
>
> Chris

This is nice to see.

.... so I'm not the only one :)

--