From: Robert Flint on
I have developed a problem on my Toshiba laptop running openSUSE 10.3. All
the windows are missing their title bars (the coloured bit at the top that
has the program name and the maximise, minimise and close buttons). This has
happened for all usres on the machine, irrespective of whether they login
using Gnome or KDE, and I am at a loss how to solve the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ROB

From: Neil Ellwood on
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:26:13 +0100, Robert Flint wrote:

> I have developed a problem on my Toshiba laptop running openSUSE 10.3.
> All the windows are missing their title bars (the coloured bit at the
> top that has the program name and the maximise, minimise and close
> buttons). This has happened for all usres on the machine, irrespective
> of whether they login using Gnome or KDE, and I am at a loss how to
> solve the problem.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> ROB

Probably the easiest way is to back up your /home onto separate media and
reinstall making sure to format your /home and when up and running
replace what you want from your backed up files.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
From: Robert Newson on
Robert Flint wrote:

> I have developed a problem on my Toshiba laptop running openSUSE 10.3. All
> the windows are missing their title bars (the coloured bit at the top that
> has the program name and the maximise, minimise and close buttons). This has
> happened for all usres on the machine, irrespective of whether they login
> using Gnome or KDE, and I am at a loss how to solve the problem.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like you're missing a window manager (which is what provides these
things).

Try opening a terminal window (from GNOME) and entering the command:

$ metacity &

and see what happens.

From: Mark South on
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:26:13 +0100, Robert Flint wrote:

> I have developed a problem on my Toshiba laptop running openSUSE 10.3. All
> the windows are missing their title bars (the coloured bit at the top that
> has the program name and the maximise, minimise and close buttons). This has
> happened for all usres on the machine, irrespective of whether they login
> using Gnome or KDE, and I am at a loss how to solve the problem.

Are you running compiz fusion? That has a bug that matches the behaviour
you describe.
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message <47207F33.8040005(a)bullet3.fsnet.oc.ku>, Robert Newson
<ReapNewsB(a)bullet3.fsnet.oc.ku> writes
>Robert Flint wrote:
>
>> I have developed a problem on my Toshiba laptop running openSUSE
>>10.3. All the windows are missing their title bars (the coloured bit
>>at the top that has the program name and the maximise, minimise and
>>close buttons). This has happened for all usres on the machine,
>>irrespective of whether they login using Gnome or KDE, and I am at a
>>loss how to solve the problem.
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Sounds like you're missing a window manager (which is what provides
>these things).
>
>Try opening a terminal window (from GNOME) and entering the command:
>
>$ metacity &

I'm no Linux expert and, on 10.02, haven' had that problem - but reading
UK MicroMart this week there is a comment made about what seems to be
exactly the same problem with one recent distro of Ubuntu. I know they
come from different bases but is there a core change that is causing
this somewhere.

I repeat - I'm a clueless beginner - only a reader of magazines to try
to learn.
--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay