From: Nix on
On 26 Oct 2007, Chris said:

> Nix wrote:
>> I'm using fvwm 2.5.21 with KDE 3.5.7 here and it works flawlessly.
>
> Out of interest, what are the advantages of using fvwm over kwin?

Principally that my twenty-years-evolving fvwm configuration works with
it :) I'm not sure kwin *can* be made to work the way I like, including
keybindings for absolutely everything including moving windows around
and a proper fvwm-style viewport (separated virtual desktops are the
work of the devil).

(wow. Did I *really* start working on that config when I was eleven?
.... no, from the date, I was ten. Good grief. How time flies... God only
knows what machine that was running on, it must have been on some
machine my mum brought home from work, but when did she ever bring home
a Unix box? I'll have to ask, this is a deep mystery.)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
From: Ben Shimmin on
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk>:
> On 26 Oct 2007, Chris said:
>> Nix wrote:
>>> I'm using fvwm 2.5.21 with KDE 3.5.7 here and it works flawlessly.
>>
>> Out of interest, what are the advantages of using fvwm over kwin?
>
> Principally that my twenty-years-evolving fvwm configuration works with
> it :) I'm not sure kwin *can* be made to work the way I like, including
> keybindings for absolutely everything including moving windows around
> and a proper fvwm-style viewport (separated virtual desktops are the
> work of the devil).
>
> (wow. Did I *really* start working on that config when I was eleven?
> ... no, from the date, I was ten. Good grief. How time flies... God only
> knows what machine that was running on, it must have been on some
> machine my mum brought home from work, but when did she ever bring home
> a Unix box? I'll have to ask, this is a deep mystery.)

What's even more of a mystery is how, in 1987, at the tender age of ten,
you were editing a configuration file for a window manager that wasn't
released until 1993.

b.

--
<bas(a)bas.me.uk> <URL:http://bas.me.uk/>
`Anarchism is a game at which the police can beat you.'
From: Nix on
On 12 Nov 2007, Ben Shimmin stated:

> Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk>:
>> (wow. Did I *really* start working on that config when I was eleven?
>> ... no, from the date, I was ten. Good grief. How time flies... God only
>> knows what machine that was running on, it must have been on some
>> machine my mum brought home from work, but when did she ever bring home
>> a Unix box? I'll have to ask, this is a deep mystery.)
>
> What's even more of a mystery is how, in 1987, at the tender age of ten,
> you were editing a configuration file for a window manager that wasn't
> released until 1993.

That's the date on the top of the file. It may be lying: it may be
indicating the date of original authorship pre-translation from some
earlier wm (I have memories of using twm long, long ago).

It may be that, age thirteen or something, I was lying to myself or
typoed. :)

I still have no idea what machine I could have been using. Before I
spotted that I thought my first encounter with Unix was in 1990...

From: Big and Blue on
Nix wrote:

> I still have no idea what machine I could have been using. Before I
> spotted that I thought my first encounter with Unix was in 1990...

So perhaps it was one with an incorrectly-set clock?

either you or I have to believe it.