Prev: Bom Macro.
Next: SWCP
From: cdubea on
As part of the upgrade of XMLPropWorks (XPW) from v0.5 to v1.0, the
ability to read and write from a plethora of file formats in addition
to the Access and XML files is being added (as well as a bevy of other
enhancements see http://www.dubea.org/xmlpropworks).

The plan is to add the ability to read/write to:

1) comma delimited text files,
2) Excel spreadsheets
3) SQL databases
4) XML databases (write)

Currently, the plan is to implement the SQL database feature
utilizing SQLite instead of a full blown client/server SQL system ala
MySQL, Postgresql or the MS free SQL server edition. My research
indicates that SQLite is robust enough to handle the traffic of up to
50 users to a centrally located database. There are a number of tools
out there for managing SQLite databases, but what I don't know is if
SQLite databases can be read by MySQL or any of the other free server
SQL systems.

What's the opinion of those out there in the know about SQL
databases? Is SQLite appropriate in this application?

A beta version of XPW available for testing in a couple of weeks. If
you would like to test the system out, please e-mail me at
xpw(a)dubea.org. Please be forewarned that testing this system is not
going to be trivial, but I REALLY need others to look at it and
provide feedback. Your existing setup files "should" work with the
new version, but obviously none of the new functionality will be
gained without updating your setup file. I say "should" as I am
planning for complete transparency, but the XPW code is getting
complex and things change.

The current plan is for XPW to be free, but it is very likely that a
registration gizmo will be implemented so that a record can be kept of
who is using it. The plan is to use an ActiveLock (http://
sourceforge.net/projects/activelock/) registration function with a 30
day usage window. The registration will hopefully be web based so
there won't have to any direct interaction with users.

Thanks,

chris

From: Chris Dubea on

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 07:13:06 -0700, "cdubea(a)movingpart.com"
<cdubea(a)movingpart.com> wrote:

sorry for the double post. Terra news is being VERY weird.

Pages: 1
Prev: Bom Macro.
Next: SWCP