From: Dilly Dally on
I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides. Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to successfully complete the upgrade ??

From: philo on
On 06/20/2010 04:52 AM, Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides. Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to successfully complete the upgrade ??

just boot with your XP cd

delete all partitions, then create a new NTFS partition
and proceed with the installation

From: Shenan Stanley on
Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along
> with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides.
> Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow
> to successfully complete the upgrade ??

So you are doing a hardware upgrade and a clean installation of Windows XP?

Follow the hardware manufacturer's instructions and suggestions for the
hardware side. You have not given enough information to really assist you
with that end. Since you do not seem to be replacing the motherboard (or
did not mention it) - you need to make sure the processor you use will work
in the motherboard you have - as well as the RAM and video device you
choose.

For the software side - my suggestion may be a bit extreme - but should give
you the cleanest results giving what you have so far. You will definitely
be inside the machine at some point -so discovery of the name brand of the
hard disk drive should be easy. Once you have this - visit that
manufacturer's web page and locate/download their diagnostics/utility disk
(usual a CD ISO image you can make into an actual bootable CD.) Use that to
completely wipe the hard disk drive once you have everything else in place
(all the hardware swapped out.)

Now - you have a clean slate - completey ready for you to install whatever
on.

Clean Install Windows XP

Enjoy.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Daave on
Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with
> an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides. Could
> someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to
> successfully complete the upgrade ??

Please fix your word wrap (or lack of it).

Do you want to lose the Linux or configure a dual boot?

From: Bruce Chambers on
Dilly Dally wrote:
> I'm going to do a major upgrade (Processor, Vid Card, RAM) along with an initial install of XP where a Linux distro now resides. Could someone provide a link giving me the process I should follow to successfully complete the upgrade ??

All legitimate WinXP installation CDs are bootable and have the
capability of deleting, creating, and formatting partitions.

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.