From: Gary Sams on
I'm using XP home SP3
When I start the computer it gets to the Windows XP screen and shuts down.
When I restart I get a range of options including start normally, start
using last known working configuration and starting in safe mode.
The first two usually cause a repeat of the problem though sometimes it
starts normally.
Starting in safe mode then restarting the computer seems to work every time.

Going back to a system restore point before the problem occurred just
produces a message that the system cannot be restored.

I thought about re-installing windows but when I found my disk it has a big
crack in it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gary

From: Db on
sounds like the registry
may be the issue.

try running a check
disk and a fix boot
from the recovery
console.

db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: 123Jim on

"Gary Sams" <gary_sams(a)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP home SP3
> When I start the computer it gets to the Windows XP screen and shuts down.
> When I restart I get a range of options including start normally, start
> using last known working configuration and starting in safe mode.
> The first two usually cause a repeat of the problem though sometimes it
> starts normally.
> Starting in safe mode then restarting the computer seems to work every
> time.
>
> Going back to a system restore point before the problem occurred just
> produces a message that the system cannot be restored.
>
> I thought about re-installing windows but when I found my disk it has a
> big crack in it.
>
> Any suggestions?

Tried system restore in safe mode?

From: Peter Foldes on