From: KenP on
Posted in XP General but recommended I post in Hardware so here goes.

Dell Dimension PC w/Win XP Pro - Started getting msg bout hard disk
Failure on startup. Ran diagnostics and rec'd error code indicating drive
was failing.

Purchased and installed new WD Cav Blue drive. Drive has Zip Drive on same
cable. Tried all kinds of combos. Removed zip, reset jumpers and still XP
will not load. Initial blue screen comes up indicating set up is checking
configuration then screen goes black and that's it.

Thought it mite be cause new drive not partitioned so put drive in another
PC w/same XP O/S cd and it installed and loaded w/o problem. Then put in
original PC and no can read error comes up.

Have talked w/WDC T/S and they say it not drive and I agree. I've changed
cables tween HD and MB with no diff results.

Two or three hairs short of hairless. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

KenP

From: DL on
Is this a sata or ide drive, and if sata what sata version does your mobo.
controller support?

From: LVTravel on

"DL" <invalid(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Is this a sata or ide drive, and if sata what sata version does your mobo.
> controller support?
>
> "KenP" <KenP(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Posted in XP General but recommended I post in Hardware so here goes.
>>
>> Dell Dimension PC w/Win XP Pro - Started getting msg bout hard disk
>> Failure on startup. Ran diagnostics and rec'd error code indicating
>> drive
>> was failing.
>>
>> Purchased and installed new WD Cav Blue drive. Drive has Zip Drive on
>> same
>> cable. Tried all kinds of combos. Removed zip, reset jumpers and still XP
>> will not load. Initial blue screen comes up indicating set up is checking
>> configuration then screen goes black and that's it.
>>
>> Thought it mite be cause new drive not partitioned so put drive in
>> another
>> PC w/same XP O/S cd and it installed and loaded w/o problem. Then put in
>> original PC and no can read error comes up.
>>
>> Have talked w/WDC T/S and they say it not drive and I agree. I've changed
>> cables tween HD and MB with no diff results.
>>
>> Two or three hairs short of hairless. Any help will be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> KenP

DL, the ZIP drive doesn't come in SATA "on the same cable" as the WD drive
so has to be PATA (EIDE.) I posted comment in other thread about the ZIP
drive and jumper settings. The internal IDE ZIP drive has caused issues in
many computers if not set properly. I still think the OP has jumper issues.

From: DL on
Yep, I missed the zip comment

From: KenP on
PATA/Ide