From: Bruce Chambers on
RW wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop PC running XP (love it!) and a Compaq laptop PC
> running Vista (hate it!).
>
> This is probably a dumb question, but can I use my Dell XP restore disks to
> "restore" my laptop to the XP operating system? Probably not, but I had to
> ask. Vista is just dreadful.
>
> Thanks!

No. By your own admission, you have an OEM license for WinXP that
came with the Dell. An OEM version must be sold with a piece of
hardware (normally a motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and
is _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM
license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another computer
under _any_ circumstances.

Additionally, it's probably *not* technically possible, in your
case. You most likely have a BIOS-locked OEM Recovery CD that is
specifically designed to install only on the hardware with which it was
purchased, in order to prevent the sort of software piracy you're
contemplating.

If you really can't learn to use Vista (which is perfectly fine on
compatible hardware), and truly want to downgrade the newer computer to
an obsolete OS, you'll have to purchase a license for WinXP.

Further, there could be a couple possible adverse repercussions of
which you should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer
model in question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be
no WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's
diverse components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer
about the availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an
OEM-installed operating system and replacing it with another will almost
invariably void any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the
warranty. You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before
getting any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the
computer's manufacturer for specifics.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: