From: RW on
I have a Dell desktop PC running XP (love it!) and a Compaq laptop PC
running Vista (hate it!).

This is probably a dumb question, but can I use my Dell XP restore disks to
"restore" my laptop to the XP operating system? Probably not, but I had to
ask. Vista is just dreadful.

Thanks!

From: Db on
it is highly unlikely that
you can use this method.

dell includes their proprietary
system files and compaq
has their own.

if you try, you will likely
make a mess of things and
spend many days and
sleepless nights trying to
get everything back to the
way it was.

however, you might want to
look into buying an xp theme
to install in vista.

something like windows blinds
and other makers provide
themes.

also, keep in mind that if you
install a third party program,

always make a system restore
point before hand.

but if I'm not mistake vista
automatically does.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: philo on
On 05/20/2010 04:16 PM, RW wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop PC running XP (love it!) and a Compaq laptop PC
> running Vista (hate it!).
>
> This is probably a dumb question, but can I use my Dell XP restore disks to
> "restore" my laptop to the XP operating system? Probably not, but I had to
> ask. Vista is just dreadful.
>
> Thanks!

No

Might check with the mfg though to see if XP drivers are avail for that
machine, if so
you could put a fresh copy of XP on it
From: VanguardLH on
RW wrote:

> I have a Dell desktop PC running XP (love it!) and a Compaq laptop PC
> running Vista (hate it!).
>
> This is probably a dumb question, but can I use my Dell XP restore disks to
> "restore" my laptop to the XP operating system? Probably not, but I had to
> ask. Vista is just dreadful.
>
> Thanks!

You only have 1 license to each instance of Windows. You indicate
nowhere that you purchased another license of Windows XP. If you have a
retail full version of Windows XP on the desktop then you can install it
on your laptop but only after losing it on your desktop. This is not a
pro-piracy newsgroup.
From: Paul on
RW wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop PC running XP (love it!) and a Compaq laptop PC
> running Vista (hate it!).
>
> This is probably a dumb question, but can I use my Dell XP restore disks to
> "restore" my laptop to the XP operating system? Probably not, but I had to
> ask. Vista is just dreadful.
>
> Thanks!

If you have drivers for that piece of hardware, you could
always buy one of these.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 English 1 Pack for System Builders DSP OEI CD - OEM $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116583

Delivery Service Partner, Original Equipment Integrator, Original Equipment Manufacturer

Products like that won't last long. WinXP Pro at the same site, is sold out, leaving
WinXP Home.

Paul