From: David W. Fenton on
=?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?= <Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Any suggestions on how to deal with storing the different path
> names between Xp & Vista / Win 7?

Don't. Store your front end in the user profile, regardless of where
the user stores other data.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Dennis on
Doug,

Yes, the issue is I have user who populated the table when they were running
XP and now they are on Win7.

The applications still works, it is just that "blob" files are no longer
where they were on XP. When we upgrade to Vista / Win 7, both OSs
automatically restructures the Documents & Settings directories.

Your comment: How can you be certain that the necessary files migrated from
XP with the user?

My Response. I can see the blob files in the new directory.
As I said earlier, on XP the blobl files were in:
C:\Documents and Settigns\<User Name>My Documents\Blob\

When they upgraded to Win 7, Win 7 moved those files to:
C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\Blob\

The path name in the database is "C:\Documents and Settigns\<User Name>My
Documents\Blob\". If I manually change the path name in the database,
everything works fine.

Any suggestions to avoid this issue in the future. Is there a better way to
store the path names so I can avoid the XP / Vista / Win 7 "Documents &
Settings" vs "User" issue.

Dennis
From: Paul Shapiro on
One approach I've used is to keep document folders as subfolders of the
application folder. You can get the current application folder with
CurrentProject.Path. Then the only deployment issue is to make sure that
when the application moves, the document folders go with it. For a split
application (Front End/Back End) where users are sharing the data file and
the documents are also shared, I've made the document folder a subfolder of
the backend db location.

From: Dennis on
Paul,

I like your idea however, I don't have control over where the users place
the documents. Currenly, the bulk of the documents are placed in a scanning
directory by the scanner. I just index in that directory.

I could rewrite the code to move those documents to my own directory.
However, that is only half the problem. The users can attach their Word,
Excel, Notepad, or what every file they want to a customer file. I can not
be moving their files.

Any other suggestions?

Dennis

From: Paul Shapiro on
So you're saying the users can attach any file, from any folder? If so, it
would seem to be up to the user to keep them in the same place.

For bulk moves, like you described for changing the OS, you could give them
a command button to let them choose a new location for an existing file.
Once they've selected the new location, you could ask if they want you to
update the saved location for all files in the original folder. As part of
making that update, I would probably verify that the referenced files exist.

You could also give them a command button to verify all files, and prompt
for new locations and/or reference deletion for any missing files, etc.

Or, if this is really a one-time change, you could write a query to make the
appropriate update to all file references. While this is a pain, I'd guess
it will be some time before the \Users folder gets renamed again.