From: SolomonW on
I have a good computer with XP and plenty of programs installed which I
want to keep. However I want windows 7 on that computer.

What I was thinking of doing was getting a new hard disk and put on to it
windows 7. Then when I start up the computer, I could go into the bios and
change which drive is the startup. This is, however, a messy solution, is
there some dual boot program, I could use so when the machine starts up it
asks which drive do I boot up from?

From: Doc Shenley on

"SolomonW" <SolomonW(a)nospamMail.com> wrote in message
>I have a good computer with XP and plenty of programs installed which I
> want to keep. However I want windows 7 on that computer.
>
> What I was thinking of doing was getting a new hard disk and put on to it
> windows 7. Then when I start up the computer, I could go into the bios and
> change which drive is the startup. This is, however, a messy solution, is
> there some dual boot program, I could use so when the machine starts up it
> asks which drive do I boot up from?

Download EasyBCD, a free bootloader program. Install W7 and it will
recognise your earlier version of windows and allow you to boot it. Use
EasyBCD to manage the boot priorities.

From: me here on
SolomonW wrote:

> I have a good computer with XP and plenty of programs installed which
> I want to keep. However I want windows 7 on that computer.
>
> What I was thinking of doing was getting a new hard disk and put on
> to it windows 7. Then when I start up the computer, I could go into
> the bios and change which drive is the startup. This is, however, a
> messy solution, is there some dual boot program, I could use so when
> the machine starts up it asks which drive do I boot up from?

Try one of these.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/multi-boot-managers.shtml

From: nomail on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:40:58 +1000, SolomonW
<SolomonW(a)nospamMail.com> wrote:

>I have a good computer with XP and plenty of programs installed which I
>want to keep. However I want windows 7 on that computer.
>
>What I was thinking of doing was getting a new hard disk and put on to it
>windows 7. Then when I start up the computer, I could go into the bios and
>change which drive is the startup. This is, however, a messy solution, is
>there some dual boot program, I could use so when the machine starts up it
>asks which drive do I boot up from?

When you install win7 the windows boot manager will handle this
quite easily. You don't need a third party app.

Pete

From: SolomonW on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:40:58 +1000, SolomonW wrote:

> From: SolomonW <SolomonW(a)nospamMail.com>
> Subject: XP and windows 7 on one machine
> Newsgroups: aus.computers
> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:40:58 +1000
>
> I have a good computer with XP and plenty of programs installed which I
> want to keep. However I want windows 7 on that computer.
>
> What I was thinking of doing was getting a new hard disk and put on to it
> windows 7. Then when I start up the computer, I could go into the bios and
> change which drive is the startup. This is, however, a messy solution, is
> there some dual boot program, I could use so when the machine starts up it
> asks which drive do I boot up from?

Thanks everyone for your help, you have given me some good ideas here