From: John Wunderlich on
damageinc <damageinc.4bb2yh(a)no.email.invalid> wrote in

> I disabled IPX. No luck. Now after a few days, I haven't made any
> changes and the scenario is:
> THe Win 7 Machine doesn't see either XP machine even though it can
> ping them both.
> One of the XP machines sees the Win 7 Machine but can't access it
> at all.
> The other XP machine( the one that runs with the better
> connectivity) can open Windo7 7 shares on cmd but cannot see the
> Win 7 Machine in WorkGroup.
> Both XP machines share and see each other
> THis is Unreal. I have tried the LLLTD hot fix and everything else
> under the sun- NO LUCK! HELP!
> My wife has a work from home office and I just got laid off so I
> thought I would work on making her computing more efficient with
> printer and file sharing but this is a disaster.I have spent over
> 100hrs on this.
> Oh, I also disable IPV6 again- No luck.
> And....I connected all 3 machines to the router by ethernet to
> rule out any wireless issues...still no help.
> AAARRGGHHH!
> And 1 more thing- I dont get this at all...THe Win 7 Machine can't
> access itself in the network- access is denied! WTH?

Being that the two XP machines communicate just fine, I would guess
that the problem seems to point to the Win 7 machine. I have no
experience with Win 7. There have been no Win 7 newsgroups formed.

You might want to look for answers in the Microsoft Windows 7 Forums:
<http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7>

-- John
From: damageinc on

Lots of views, little help...
Anyway, I have been able( by changing the "node" on the xp machines to
enable both of them now to share whatever I want.They can also access
the folders that I have been able to share on Win 7.
Again, all machines are on ethernet now...
Anyway, this is turning into a blog on my stressful inability to
completely share xp and win 7 machines...
I have searched everywhere for a fix, no luck...
The xp machines have simple file share off,firewall disabled.THe Win 7
machine has IPV6 disabled...all file sharing and discovery turned out
w\o password .
Strange thing is that Win 7 machine can ping the 2 xps but cannot see
them in network.Oddly they show up on network map.
WHen I click on the Win7 computer on the win 7 machine, it says access
denied?
Also- even more strange, the Win 7 machine cannot share Public
folders.It has an E: drive (CDRW) that can be accessed by the xp
machines. WHen I go into share( Everyone is listed on the folders I
opened, the Win 7 machine tells me that "This folder can't be shared. I
know that Win 7 shares Public if you turn on discovery and file
sharing.What eh heck? Anyone on this forum have an idea? Seems like I am
90% there and something simple is holding me back.Even more strange is
that I was able to access anything I wanted before on the Win 7 machine
with one of the Xp's before consistantly.
This shouldnt be this difficult...
Any ideas are appreciated or maybe this isn't the right forum to ask?

From: richardmuendes on

The solution is pretty simple really, but I advise that you use this as
a last resort:

Either upgrade the two XP devices to Vista or W7, or downgrade W7 to
XP.