From: Doug W. on

"dwn >" <dwn <dwnns(a)nonet.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:24:02 -0600, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention>
> wrote:
>

> I have a Toshiba 16GB Flash drive, use it for daily backup one
> to three
> times a day. I did not know nor did I take the time to find
> out more.
> Now it really worry me, any idea how many rewrite before it
> fail?
>
> Thanks
>
>>A USB flash drive consists of flash memory data storage device
>>integrated with a USB (Universal Serial Bus) 1.1 or 2.0
>>interface. USB flash drives are typically removable and
>>rewritable, much smaller than a floppy disk, and most weigh
>>less
>>than 30 g (1 oz).[1] Storage capacities in 2010 can be as
>>large
>>as 256 GB[2] with steady improvements in size and price per
>>capacity. Some allow 1 million write or erase cycles[3][4] and
>>have a 10-year data retention cycle.
>>
>>======
>>
>>The write or erase cycles stated are somewhat more than your
>>figures but still one wouldn't want the OS on a flash drive.
>>==

Perhaps with the prices dropping every year you could afford to
back-up to another flash drive as well for extra backup
insurance.

==

From: LD55ZRA on
No because we don't encourage nor support people asking questions
which are considered to be for fun and not for serious computing.
OS should always be installed on a fixed hard disk so that it
doesn't move or taken away by unscrupulous people. If you want
something that can help you to access NTFS file system from which
you want to create a backup then I suggest download a Windows 7
recovery disk or Windows Vista recovery disks from here:

<http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/>

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD55ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD55ZRA 2010.
From: LVTravel on

"dwn>" <dwn <dwnns(a)nonet.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:24:02 -0600, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention> wrote:
>

> I have a Toshiba 16GB Flash drive, use it for daily backup one to three
> times a day. I did not know nor did I take the time to find out more.
> Now it really worry me, any idea how many rewrite before it fail?
>
> Thanks

SNIP

No one can tell you that information.

A flash drive can fail the first time it is used or after many thousands of
cycles. I have one older 256 MB drive that has been written to at least
10,000 times with full erase or format over 100 times. Now, do I depend on
that drive to store non-recoverable data. Absolutely not. To depend on a
flash drive as a sole backup mechanism is flirting with disaster. You would
be better served to backup to a USB, Firewire or SATA external hard drive.
They are normally more dependable but, of course, they can fail also.

From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
hp.com has two
programs that will
allow xp to install
on a flash drive.

one program formats
the drive and the other
creates a boot sector.

it's a fun project but
in my opinion when
I created a xp usb

it was basically not
useful and found a
better use for the
usb.

another consideration
that should be taken
into account is if your
machine can boot via
usb.

--

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: Bob I on
Of course, as long as it is seen as an internal drive. Further reading
below.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=installing+xp+on+SSD&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=