From: Pegasus [MVP] on

<npx(a)no.spam> wrote in message
> Can XP install on an SSD flash drive? or does it not have the drivers,
> can it only install on a regular hard disk?

You would not want to. Compared to magnetic disks, flash disks are very
slow. They also have a limit of less than 1,000 rewrite cycles, thus wearing
out in no time at all.

From: Doug W. on

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> <npx(a)no.spam> wrote in message
>> Can XP install on an SSD flash drive? or does it not have the
>> drivers,
>> can it only install on a regular hard disk?
>
> You would not want to. Compared to magnetic disks, flash disks
> are very slow. They also have a limit of less than 1,000
> rewrite cycles, thus wearing out in no time at all.
==
From Wikipedia:

A USB flash drive consists of flash memory data storage device
integrated with a USB (Universal Serial Bus) 1.1 or 2.0
interface. USB flash drives are typically removable and
rewritable, much smaller than a floppy disk, and most weigh less
than 30 g (1 oz).[1] Storage capacities in 2010 can be as large
as 256 GB[2] with steady improvements in size and price per
capacity. Some allow 1 million write or erase cycles[3][4] and
have a 10-year data retention cycle.

======

The write or erase cycles stated are somewhat more than your
figures but still one wouldn't want the OS on a flash drive.
==

From: T Shadow on
<npx(a)no.spam> wrote in message
> Can XP install on an SSD flash drive? or does it not have the drivers,
> can it only install on a regular hard disk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Look at Microsoft Windows and exFAT

From: Twayne on
In news:eZnAhx30KHA.5828(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Doug W. <stand(a)attention> typed:
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> <npx(a)no.spam> wrote in message
>>> Can XP install on an SSD flash drive? or does it not have
>>> the drivers,
>>> can it only install on a regular hard disk?
>>
>> You would not want to. Compared to magnetic disks, flash
>> disks are very slow. They also have a limit of less than
>> 1,000 rewrite cycles, thus wearing out in no time at all.
> ==
> From Wikipedia:
>
> A USB flash drive consists of flash memory data storage
> device integrated with a USB (Universal Serial Bus) 1.1 or
> 2.0 interface. USB flash drives are typically removable and
> rewritable, much smaller than a floppy disk, and most weigh
> less than 30 g (1 oz).[1] Storage capacities in 2010 can be
> as large as 256 GB[2] with steady improvements in size and
> price per capacity. Some allow 1 million write or erase
> cycles[3][4] and have a 10-year data retention cycle.
>
> ======
>
> The write or erase cycles stated are somewhat more than your
> figures but still one wouldn't want the OS on a flash
> drive. ==

I dont' think a million cycles would take long when you
consider that the registry is constantly being read and
written to even when the computer is thought to be idle.
Intuitively it feels like less than a year's worth of use. The
technology is moving fast though; it's interesting to follow
it.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: dwn dwn on
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:24:02 -0600, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention> wrote:

I have a Toshiba 16GB Flash drive, use it for daily backup one to three
times a day. I did not know nor did I take the time to find out more.
Now it really worry me, any idea how many rewrite before it fail?

Thanks