From: LD55ZRA on
Buffalo wrote:

>Why not call the vendor first and see if the number he gives you will match
>the one on the sticker?
>Buffalo

Vendors don't keep a record of serial numbers on their system. Their
standard answer is it is on the base of the system. If you can't read
it then tough luck and you need to buy a new license.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD55ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD55ZRA 2010.

From: LD55ZRA on
123Jim wrote:

>Hi all,
>I am about to reset an XP netbook back to factory settings. Unfortunately
>the license key printed on the label on the base has two or three of letters
>that are not very clear.
>
>I ran the Jelly key finder and found the key in the registry. Unfortunately
>it does not match the key on the label which leads me to believe that it is
>the manufacturer's 'multiple machine' XP key.
>
>Can I use this to re-install XP on this netbook?
>
>If not what happens if I can't correctly guess the missing letters on the
>label?

You are lucky the label is still there but some users have complained
that the sticker got lost and you can clearly see that something was
stuck at that place but now it isn't there at all.

Microsoft is now recommending small and medium sized vendors to put the
sticker with other paperwork so that it doesn't peel out so easily and
get lost in transit. Whether this is followed is a different matter
altogether.

Have you tried using the magnifying glass to read the number? You never
know you may just be able to work it out by looking at it when magnified.

hth

From: 123Jim on

"LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 123Jim wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>I am about to reset an XP netbook back to factory settings. Unfortunately
>>the license key printed on the label on the base has two or three of
>>letters that are not very clear.
>>
>>I ran the Jelly key finder and found the key in the registry.
>>Unfortunately it does not match the key on the label which leads me to
>>believe that it is the manufacturer's 'multiple machine' XP key.
>>
>>Can I use this to re-install XP on this netbook?
>>
>>If not what happens if I can't correctly guess the missing letters on the
>>label?
>>

> You are lucky the label is still there but some users have complained that
> the sticker got lost and you can clearly see that something was stuck at
> that place but now it isn't there at all.
>
> Microsoft is now recommending small and medium sized vendors to put the
> sticker with other paperwork so that it doesn't peel out so easily and get
> lost in transit. Whether this is followed is a different matter
> altogether.
>
> Have you tried using the magnifying glass to read the number? You never
> know you may just be able to work it out by looking at it when magnified.
>
> hth

We studied it pretty closely, but not with a magnifying glass, which is a
good idea.
You may have missed my post earlier in which I inform of the happy situation
that this Acer netbook's recovery software does not require a product key.
I will store the key, ~~ or what I think is the key ~~ for future repairs on
this netbook should it ever be required.
cheers

From: Buffalo on

123Jim wrote:
> "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
[snip]
>> Why not call the vendor first and see if the number he gives you will
>> match
>> the one on the sticker?
>> Buffalo
>>

> Good thinking .. but too late now .. I began reset with Acer eRecovery
> program. Luckily It turns out this Acer Aspire one netbook eRecovery
> program does not ask for a product key.
> Acer have gone up in my estimation.

Happy to hear the results were good. :)
Buffalo

From: John Wunderlich on
"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in

> Hi all,
> I am about to reset an XP netbook back to factory settings.
> Unfortunately the license key printed on the label on the base has
> two or three of letters that are not very clear.
>
> I ran the Jelly key finder and found the key in the registry.
> Unfortunately it does not match the key on the label which leads
> me to believe that it is the manufacturer's 'multiple machine' XP
> key.
>
> Can I use this to re-install XP on this netbook?
>
> If not what happens if I can't correctly guess the missing letters
> on the label?

"Transferring Windows XP Activation Information"
"How to Reinstall Windows XP Without Having to Reactivate With
Microsoft"
<http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aaqtwinxp0829.htm>

HTH,
John