From: Big House on
yes, fast user switching compatibility is running...
From: Big House on
It looks like XP thinks that an open session (which is not logged on
though) counts as one user and won't allow to open other sessions.

This usually happens when using Terminal Server (one session only can
be opened) but here we are talking of local sessions that are logged
on ONE AT A TIME.

From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> It looks like XP thinks that an open session (which is not logged on
> though) counts as one user and won't allow to open other sessions.
>
> This usually happens when using Terminal Server (one session only can
> be opened) but here we are talking of local sessions that are logged
> on ONE AT A TIME.

Is

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)

set to "1" ?

Bernd
From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> It looks like XP thinks that an open session (which is not logged on
> though) counts as one user and won't allow to open other sessions.
>
> This usually happens when using Terminal Server (one session only can
> be opened) but here we are talking of local sessions that are logged
> on ONE AT A TIME.

Please look into system log under System AND Application, if there is an
event exactly at the time you try to switch user.
Possibly a failed load of a DLL ...

Bernd
From: Big House on
> Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
> Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)
>
> set to "1" ?

yes it is set to 1

you can see the whole winlogon section of my regedit here:

http://yfrog.com/7eregeditj

thanks for your help!