From: Just me on
Dell has a bunch (46 as I type this) of these certified refurbished at
$959. They were $849 on Sunday, but now there is a 15% off coupon
which brings it down to $815.15. Free shipping on all prices. A new
one with similar specs, except that it uses an nVidia GeForce GTS240
1792MB GDDR3 instead of the ATI card, runs $1268 (on Sunday it was
$1099).

What do you think?

Studio XPS 8100

* Studio XPS 8100 Desktop
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

System Price : $849.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Memory
8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (4 DIMMs)

Hard Disk Drive
1 TB SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

Video
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 5770 GDDR5

Hardware Upgrade
125V Power Cord
Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
USB Keyboard
No Modem
Thermal Module Heatsink,95W

Software Upgrade
Windows Live
Microsoft Works 9.0
McAfee Security Center, 30 Day
64BIT Operating System DVD

Network Interface Card
Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card

Base
Studio XPS 8100 Desktop

Processor
Processor: Intel Core i7-860 Processor (8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)

Media Bay
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

George
gearlnospamno(a)nospamcomcast.net
From: WSZsr on
Go for it!

From: Ron Hardin on
I buy only refurbished or scratch'n'dent systems.

You have to wait for a price you like, is all. It may
take a few months but bargains turn up eventually.

Their pricing makes no particular sense. It goes up and
down.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Just me on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:25:29 -0400, Ron Hardin
<rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

>I buy only refurbished or scratch'n'dent systems.
>
>You have to wait for a price you like, is all. It may
>take a few months but bargains turn up eventually.
>
>Their pricing makes no particular sense. It goes up and
>down.

Well, I'm having my first certified refurbished experience.

I ordered the following for $835.15 total after 15% off coupon.

I just configured an identical new one at their site and it came to
$1338.35. That's a pretty big difference.

Studio XPS 8100

* Studio XPS 8100 Desktop
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Memory
8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (4 DIMMs)

Hard Disk Drive
1 TB SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

Video
1024MB nVidia GeForce GTS240

From: Just me on
>On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:25:29 -0400, Ron Hardin
><rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>I buy only refurbished or scratch'n'dent systems.
>>
>>You have to wait for a price you like, is all. It may
>>take a few months but bargains turn up eventually.
>>
>>Their pricing makes no particular sense. It goes up and
>>down.
>
>Well, I'm having my first certified refurbished experience.
> . . . snipped . . .

The certified refurbished experience is not going well.

First time I tried to boot up this 8100 a fan inside took off at full
throttle, sounding like a jet airplane, and stayed there. The fan
howl finally stopped when the PC shut itself down while it was trying
to paint the desktop for the first time after initial Windows 7 setup.

I tried booting up again but I didn't get past the Dell screen with
the F2/F12 options (or the fan howl) before the PC shut itself down. I
got the same result the next dozen or so times I tried to boot up.

I called Dell tech support. I was lucky. I got a good connection with
a good guy in the Philippines who spoke English very well. Over the
course of an hour and a half we rebooted many times. Each time the PC
shut itself down, sometimes in seconds, but never longer than about 5
minutes or so. He had me open the case to try to identify the source
of the fan noise. It was the video card. He had me yank and reseat the
video card. No change. He had me yank 3 of the 4 RAM DIMMS. That gave
me 2 beeps repeating every few seconds and the PC wouldn't boot.

After consulting with his supervisor he set me up with a home visit
from a service technician who is supposed to replace the motherboard,
the power supply, the RAM and the video card.

Stay tuned . . .

George
gearlnospamno(a)nospamcomcast.net
 |  Next  |  Last