From: bgshea on
Martin,

Thanks, that was what i was looking for. I know about the employer
issues, as there are many things i cannot disclose here as well. But we
can certainly build on what you provided. Again, thanks!!

I'm going to take this weekend and compile all this info and put it on
my site, including some scripts. If all goes well,
www.hackthebox.org/xilinx will have excerps and links from this theard
and a few others. Right now my site is down (harddrive blewup) and i
have had only a few hours to spend reloading the system. Umm, I think
my php scripts are still broken so if you get there and see errors,
please try again next week. Hopfully my raid system will prevent future
single harddrive issues.

Thanks all for the input!!!!!!

I'm going to continue to bang my head on my desk untill i get the
scripting thing down. At least at home i have a Quad Xeon with 2GB of
memory running linux to run tests on.

I will be checking back thoughout the next few days (or as longs as
this thread lives).

--Brian

From: steve.lass on
Doug,

If you have a case number, I can track it down and try to get you
an answer.

Steve

From: Eric Smith on

Martin Thompson <martin.j.thompson(a)trw.com> writes:
> If by ISE we mean the GUI (as I think we do) then I disagree...
>
> The best development environment I have ever used for Xilinx devices
> is Emacs (with vhdl-mode) and a command-line build script :-)

I do my editing in Emacs, but I despise vhdl-mode. I normally use
the GUI for everything but editing.

Eric

From: doug on
steve.lass(a)xilinx.com wrote:
> Doug,
>
> If you have a case number, I can track it down and try to get you
> an answer.
>
> Steve
>
> "doug" <doug(a)doug> wrote in message

>>>Even incompetent programmers can manage this. The use of valgrind
>>>[http://www.valgrind.org] will pinpoint memory leaks right to the line
>>>where the allocation was made. It runs on unmodified software. This
>>>would be, oh, one hour work maximum if you have the source.
>>>
>>>JB
>>>

>>So, Austin and the other Xilinx people that monitor the board--
>>Why is Xilinx not willing to take the hour to fix a show stopper
>>problem that has existed for at least a year in at least NINE
>>versions of ISE?
>>
>>There have been 7 sevice packs issued which still have this
>>problem. This means it is a management decision to not fix
>>things. The fact that the service pack and the release came
>>at the same time was a very bad sign.
>>
>>On the other hand, could I get a job as a xilinx programmer,
>>or better yet, as a manager. I have always had bosses who
>>exptected me to do things correctly. This would be a nice
>>change.

Case number 662555. CR 430822, 430823

From: steve.lass on
Doug,

The case was created on December 6, 2006. We reproduced the problem in-house
and
created the CRs on December 13. This was after 9.1i was released.

CR 430822 is a memory leak and has been scheduled to be fixed in 10.1 to
coincide with
an intiative we have to fix memory issues. We're going to try to fix CR
430823 in 9.2.

Regarding spending an hour running Valgrind and finding all of the memory
leaks, that might
make sense for a smaller application, but isn't possible for a multi-million
line program that
has a large number of developers. We do use Valgrind and have spent at least
a man year
on this resulting in many of the issues found and fixed, but not all.