From: TudaPellini on
Hi ASICFriends,

I'm using XILINX ISE WebPack, release 8.2 (due to compatibility issues
with older projects).
Does anyone know how to make some symbol inputs to be "don't care"
inside an ISE schematic ? For example, at some mux inputs ? As we can
do on VHDL or Verilog ?
I expect that such issues would allow the synthesis tools to better
optimize the design.
Nowadays I manually tie every unused input to '0' (GND) or '1' (VCC)
sources and the synthesis tool really reduces and optmize the logic as
expected. However, I choose between '1' or '0' by my own analysis.
Is there a way to name these inputs on the schematic as 'X' or
something ?

Greetings to you all
TUDA Pellini
From: d_s_klein on
On Mar 10, 4:23 pm, TudaPellini <elpell...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ASICFriends,
>
> I'm using XILINX ISE WebPack, release 8.2 (due to compatibility issues
> with older projects).
> Does anyone know how to make some symbol inputs to be "don't care"
> inside an ISE schematic ? For example, at some mux inputs ? As we can
> do on VHDL or Verilog ?
> I expect that such issues would allow the synthesis tools to better
> optimize the design.
> Nowadays I manually tie every unused input to '0' (GND) or '1' (VCC)
> sources and the synthesis tool really reduces and optmize the logic as
> expected. However, I choose between '1' or '0' by my own analysis.
> Is there a way to name these inputs on the schematic as 'X' or
> something ?
>
> Greetings to you all
> TUDA Pellini

Two possible solutions:
1) Leave the pins "nc" in your schematic.
2) Build a net (pin) driver that sources an 'X', and connect it.

Be prepared to deal with error messages up to and including a "blue
screen of death". The schematic support in later versions of ISE is
less than poor.

RK