From: Tim Wescott on
Here's a naive question, from a sometime FPGA user:

A long time ago, a friend of mine who does _real_ digital design work
was telling me how cool the (then new) Mentor tools were, because you
could do a whole bunch of natural-looking combinational Verilog code in
a module, then at the very end you could put in a bunch of register
delays, and the tools would figure out how to distribute the delays in
your combinational code to get a nicely pipelined bit of logic.

Has this nifty technology migrated into Xilinx tools? Or if I need
pipelining, do I need to figure it out myself?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Rob Gaddi on
On 8/3/2010 10:25 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Here's a naive question, from a sometime FPGA user:
>
> A long time ago, a friend of mine who does _real_ digital design work
> was telling me how cool the (then new) Mentor tools were, because you
> could do a whole bunch of natural-looking combinational Verilog code in
> a module, then at the very end you could put in a bunch of register
> delays, and the tools would figure out how to distribute the delays in
> your combinational code to get a nicely pipelined bit of logic.
>
> Has this nifty technology migrated into Xilinx tools? Or if I need
> pipelining, do I need to figure it out myself?

Theoretically yes, practically I've had great difficulty getting the
tools to distribute any more than one level of pipeline delay.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order
From: Manny on
On Aug 3, 6:25 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> Here's a naive question, from a sometime FPGA user:
>
> A long time ago, a friend of mine who does _real_ digital design work
> was telling me how cool the (then new) Mentor tools were, because you
> could do a whole bunch of natural-looking combinational Verilog code in
> a module, then at the very end you could put in a bunch of register
> delays, and the tools would figure out how to distribute the delays in
> your combinational code to get a nicely pipelined bit of logic.
>
> Has this nifty technology migrated into Xilinx tools?  Or if I need
> pipelining, do I need to figure it out myself?

You have to always be cautious of what the tools can or can not do for
you. My experience tells me that cheap tools are better off fed the
design with a spoon. Then comes a host of other problems to do with
bugs everywhere, e.g. a design with a MACC has to be broken into
separate multiply and accumulate blocks and then retimed. Pure joy!

-Momo
From: Steve Pope on
On Aug 3, 6:25�pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:

> Here's a naive question, from a sometime FPGA user:
>
> A long time ago, a friend of mine who does _real_ digital design work
> was telling me how cool the (then new) Mentor tools were, because you
> could do a whole bunch of natural-looking combinational Verilog code in
> a module, then at the very end you could put in a bunch of register
> delays, and the tools would figure out how to distribute the delays in
> your combinational code to get a nicely pipelined bit of logic.
>
> Has this nifty technology migrated into Xilinx tools? �Or if I need
> pipelining, do I need to figure it out myself?

Register retiming. All the synthesizers do this.

Steve
From: Andy on
But how many re-time over more than one clock cycle? Many can only
move logic +/- 1 clock cycle, and some don't do it unless the original
design won't meet timing.

Andy
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2