From: Alvin Andries on

"Brian Davis" <brimdavis(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> acetylcholinerd(a)gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > If we break one of those pairs and run a (say) 70 MHz clock
> > on the + wire and a 70 MHz data stream on the -
> >
> Keep it differential.
> >
> >I just worry about the SI problems with running a 70 MHz
> > clock over 1m of cable...
> >
> Offhand, for 70 Mhz out and 280 Mbps back, I'd run the
> drivers as LVDS_EXT, layout for a 3dB differential attenuator
> at each end of the link (Note 1), use the LVDS_25_DCI on-chip
> terminations at the receivers, and simulate & prototype before
> relying on this advice.
>

> >I'll happily take any other suggestions
> >
> And now for something completely different...
>
> If you can live with 70 Mbps of outgoing data on a
> cable with bandwidth to spare, try this for a clock
> recovery scheme (untested, designed-as-I-type-this,
> probably been done better before):
>
> Phase modulate your outgoing 70 Mhz clock's falling
> edges to encode the data, using a 140 MHz master clock
> and DDR output regs (Note 2):
>
> for a zero, send -___
>
> for a one, send ---_
>
> So 10110 would be ---_-___---_---_-___
>
> Which has the rising edges all neatly lined up with
> those of the original source clock.
>
> At the receiving end, divide this by two (Note 3)
> with a rising edge FF to get an 35 Mhz clock, which
> now has no duty cycle modulation.
>
> Use the daughtercard DCMs to multiply this 35 MHz
> clock back to 70 Mhz to re-clock the input data
> ( a fixed 180 or 270 phase shift should do, this is
> a forwarded clock so cable prop delay doesn't matter).
>
> Also use the DCMs to generate a daughtercard 140 MHz to
> use as a DDR output clock for your outgoing 280 Mbps data.
>
> Back on the motherboard, you'll need a dynamic or
> cable-length-calibrated fixed phase shift of the master
> 140 Mhz to re-clock the data, as a two meter round trip
> cable delay is longer than a bit period at 280 Mbps.
>
> have fun,
> Brian
>
> (Note 1) Digikey, 3db 100 ohm diff. 0404, EXB-24AB3CR8X
>
> (Note 2) using a good differential osc. to directly
> clock the output DDR register, without using a DCM,
> will avoid cascading two DCMs in the overall link.
> SDR with 280 MHz clock or DDR with 140 Mhz clock.
>
> (Note 3) the DCMs have an input divider, which may
> be rising edge triggered

Hi,

Normally, you houldn't neeed the divide by 2 and cable stub: just use the
fact that DCMs align to the rising edge and use their CLK180 to clock your
data in.

Regards,
Alvin.

From: Brian Davis on
Alvin,

> Normally, you houldn't neeed the divide by 2 and cable stub: just use the
> fact that DCMs align to the rising edge and use their CLK180 to clock your
> data in.

Without the divide by two to strip the phase modulation, I think the
duty cycle variation might drive the DCM's batty, as it's well outside
the allowed DCM input clock duty cycle and cycle-cycle jitter specs.

Brian