From: rombios on
I bought a few of these on ebay but I cant find Xilinx Xact software
needed to design with these FPGAs

Anyone have a copy I can buy?

sincerely
hungry student
From: Ed McGettigan on
On May 22, 11:40 pm, rombios <h...(a)here.com> wrote:
> I bought a few of these on ebay but I cant find Xilinx Xact software
> needed to design with these FPGAs

> Anyone have a copy I can buy?
>
> sincerely
> hungry student

These devices are not worth your time and energy to try to use. Get a
low cost Spartan-3A board and use the free ISE Webpack software.

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.
From: John Adair on
I'd second Ed's opinion. These devices were released circa 20-25 years
ago and their only useful place now is a museum. Almost anyone that
does have software for these will have a reason like long term product
maintainence and they are unlikely to let go the software.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Merrick1. The FPGA HPC Solution.

From: fpgahobbyist on
> These devices are not worth your time and energy to try to use. Get a
> low cost Spartan-3A board and use the free ISE Webpack software.
>
> Ed McGettigan

Id like to build a board around these chips (simple projects to aid the
learning process - which is not limited to hdl digital design but board
manufacturing as well).

More "modern" fpgas come in formfactors that make it all but impossible
to solder at home.

The xc2xxx and xc3xxx chips come in plcc68/84 arrangements. I can buy plcc
to dip sockets cheap from many online electronic retailers as well as
ebay.

I did something like these for the xc9xxxx CPLD's which are still
supported in xilinx webpack software

Listen, it would really help if I can buy XACT. I dont need support, just
the software. If its reached end-of-life, I assume you guys would post it
AS IS on some ftp server link right?

For what its worth future projects that advance past what am working on
would benefit from the spartan series ...
From: John_H on
On May 24, 3:03 am, fpgahobbyist <noth...(a)onearth.com> wrote:

> Id like to build a board around these chips (simple projects to aid the
> learning process - which is not limited to hdl digital design but board
> manufacturing as well).

I'd suggest you'll get very little education on modern board
fabrication from producing a through-hole board. You actually *want*
to use surface mount caps, resistors, and hand-solderable TQFP
devices. And you'll want to lose the 5V unless you're doing analog
and/or RF.

> Listen, it would really help if I can buy XACT. I dont need support, just
> the software. If its reached end-of-life, I assume you guys would post it
> AS IS on some ftp server link right?

The XC2000 series reached end-of-life around 2000. You're a DECADE
past that point. There is no point.