From: Schloicka on
If I have my hard drive split into seperate partions (C & D) can I run
windows setup from the D partition to install XP on C partition?
From: John John - MVP on
Schloicka wrote:
> If I have my hard drive split into seperate partions (C & D) can I run
> windows setup from the D partition to install XP on C partition?

What exactly are you trying to do? What do you mean by "run windows
setup from the D partition", did you copy the I386 folder to the D
partition?

Boot with the Windows XP cd and you will be able to insall XP where you
want.

John
From: Schloicka on

From: Schloicka on

From: John John - MVP on
Schloicka wrote:

> "John John - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Schloicka wrote:
>>> If I have my hard drive split into seperate partions (C & D) can
>>> I run windows setup from the D partition to install XP on C
>>> partition?
>> What exactly are you trying to do? What do you mean by "run
>> windows setup from the D partition", did you copy the I386 folder
>> to the D partition?
>>
>> Boot with the Windows XP cd and you will be able to insall XP where
>> you want.
>>
>> John . Ok lets say I copy my XP cd to the D partition of my hard
>> drive. Is it possible to install windows from that partition to the
>> C partition? I'm asking a general question. I haven't tried to do
>> anything. Was just wondering if it was possible?

You don't need to copy the whole folder, you only need the i386 folder.
To launch the setup from the i386 folder on the D drive you would boot
the computer with a DOS/W98 boot disk and execute winnt:

d:\i386\winnt.exe

Of course, this would have to done on FAT32 drives.

John