Prev: using bootcfg
Next: Xp SetUp
From: ihateeverything on
I recently did a fresh install of XP. I made a couple bkf backup files on an
external HD using ntbackup. the one with my Programs is one is the one i'm
having problems with. I restored it using ntbackup, it asks if i want to
restore to original place, which i did, but now i have all my programs in C:
Progam Files,
but not on the start button all programs and when i try to run any of those
programs i get the "application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this
application may fix this problem" or i click have to click the exe file and
then lose all my prefrences and setting it used to run.
How am i to restore my programs back to their original state? so i can start
them from the start button, and the personal settings are still there, or did
i miss something when i made the bkf file?

From: Anteaus on
Did you backup the "system state" i.e. the registry?

The most likely reason the programs won't run is that registry keys are
missing. Some might also require that DLLs be put into the Windows
folder-tree. You may be able to resolve this if you reinstall the programs
'over the top' of the restored folders.

Unfortunately, Windows is a tangled mess where this is concerned, programs
do not sit neatly in their own folders, and cannot be backed-up except by
backing-up the whole HD.

From: Anteaus on
Worth adding that program settings are often (but not always) stored in the
"Application Data" folder of your userprofile, under 'Documents and Settings'
Some are are stored in the user registry, which is the 'NTUSER.DAT' file in
your profile-folder. Thus if you can restore these, it may get your settings
back.

"ihateeverything" wrote:

> I recently did a fresh install of XP. I made a couple bkf backup files on an
> external HD using ntbackup. the one with my Programs is one is the one i'm
> having problems with. I restored it using ntbackup, it asks if i want to
> restore to original place, which i did, but now i have all my programs in C:
> Progam Files,
> but not on the start button all programs and when i try to run any of those
> programs i get the "application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this
> application may fix this problem" or i click have to click the exe file and
> then lose all my prefrences and setting it used to run.
> How am i to restore my programs back to their original state? so i can start
> them from the start button, and the personal settings are still there, or did
> i miss something when i made the bkf file?
>
> .

Pages: 1
Prev: using bootcfg
Next: Xp SetUp