From: Debbie Wilson on
Since applying the last OS update (Snow Leopard 10.6.4) I have started
getting a lot of these error messages when browsing all kinds of
different sites in Safari, and Firefox reports a 'cannot find server'
messages similarly. My router appears to be on and functioning
normally, all lights lit etc. It's incredibly frustrating - has anyone
else found the same?

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

From: Jim on
Debbie Wilson <djmaizels(a)mac.com> wrote:

> Since applying the last OS update (Snow Leopard 10.6.4) I have started
> getting a lot of these error messages when browsing all kinds of
> different sites in Safari, and Firefox reports a 'cannot find server'
> messages similarly. My router appears to be on and functioning
> normally, all lights lit etc. It's incredibly frustrating - has anyone
> else found the same?

Not seeing that here. How are you connecting - wired or wireless? Fixed
IP or DHCP?

Might be worth seeing what's filled in for your network interface's
Router address field the next time it does it.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-15 16:16:30 +0100, Jim said:

> Debbie Wilson <djmaizels(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Since applying the last OS update (Snow Leopard 10.6.4) I have started
>> getting a lot of these error messages when browsing all kinds of
>> different sites in Safari, and Firefox reports a 'cannot find server'
>> messages similarly. My router appears to be on and functioning
>> normally, all lights lit etc. It's incredibly frustrating - has anyone
>> else found the same?
>
> Not seeing that here. How are you connecting - wired or wireless? Fixed
> IP or DHCP?
>
> Might be worth seeing what's filled in for your network interface's
> Router address field the next time it does it.

Also worth checking what DNS settings are being used?

It might also be worth explicitly disabling IPv6 - System Preferences >
Network > (each active interface on the left) > Advanced > TCP/IP >
Configure IPv6: Off.

--
Chris

From: Debbie Wilson on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Not seeing that here. How are you connecting - wired or wireless? Fixed
> IP or DHCP?
>
> Might be worth seeing what's filled in for your network interface's
> Router address field the next time it does it.

Ahhh.... thanks for jogging my memory, Jim. I now remember fiddling
around with the DNS server settings a few weeks ago, when as it turned
out, PlusNet were also fiddling around with a 21CN upgrade but didn't
tell anyone, causing my connection to fall over for several hours. I
think that's the cause - I've removed the fiddling I did, and it seems
(touch wood) to be OK. Must have been a coincidence with the OS update.

Deb/
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

From: Jim on
Debbie Wilson <djmaizels(a)mac.com> wrote:

> Ahhh.... thanks for jogging my memory, Jim. I now remember fiddling
> around with the DNS server settings a few weeks ago, when as it turned
> out, PlusNet were also fiddling around with a 21CN upgrade but didn't
> tell anyone, causing my connection to fall over for several hours. I
> think that's the cause - I've removed the fiddling I did, and it seems
> (touch wood) to be OK. Must have been a coincidence with the OS update.

Glad to hear it's working again. FWIW, Plusnet's 21CN move has caused me
a fair bit of trouble as well.

Jim