From: Bernie Lee on
I am trying to do some functions without the assistance of any external programs. Firstly i am looking for some files on the hard disk and if they are found (selected by date) they are copied to a new folder c:\vbsLogs\yymmdd_TTTT_VBS_Errors.log, this works just fine. I am then trying to zip up using XP compression into a zip file in VBSLogs. The zip file gets created but is empty i have used some code that i found here and tried to adapt it. Although i am missing something, (hence my post)

My code for the part that isn't working:

Function CompressFolder
'strLogOutputFolder = "C:\VBSLogs"
CurrentPath = strLogOutputFolder & "\"

'strLogDateFolder = "yymmdd_tttt_vbs_errors.log" (folder)
ZipFile = CurrentPath & strLogDateFolder & ".ZIP"
'File2Add = CurrentPath & strLogDateFolder & "\"
Folder2Zip = strTargetFolder & "\"
MsgBox Folder2Zip,0,"Folder2Zip..."
a = CreateEmptyZip(ZipFile)
a = AddFile2Zip (ZipFile, File2Add)
a = AddFolder2Zip (ZipFile, Folder2Zip)
End Function

Function AddFile2Zip (sZipFile, sFile2Add)
On Error Resume Next
AddFile2Zip = True
MsgBox "sZipFile: " & sZipFile & " : sFile2Add: " & sFile2Add
Set oApp = createobject("Shell.Application")
oApp.NameSpace(sZipFile).CopyHere sFile2Add
If Err<>0 Then AddFile2Zip=False
End Function

Function CreateEmptyZip(sPathName)
Dim fso, fp
Const ForWriting = 2
CreateEmptyZip = True
On Error Resume Next
Set fp = fso.OpenTextFile( sPathName, ForWriting, True )
If Err <> 0 Then
Set opfs = Nothing
CreateEmptyZip=False
Exit Function
end if
fp.Write Chr(80) & Chr(75) & Chr(5) & Chr(6) & String(18, 0)
If Err <> 0 Then
Set opfs = Nothing
CreateEmptyZip=False
Exit Function
End If
fp.Close
Set fso = Nothing
Err.Clear
End Function

Function AddFolder2Zip (ZipFile, Folder)
AddFolder2Zip=True
Set oApp = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set oFolder = oApp.NameSpace(Folder)

If Not oFolder Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ZipFile & " : " & Folder
oApp.NameSpace(ZipFile).CopyHere oFolder.Items
Else
MsgBox "Nothing to copy"
End If

If Err <>0 Then AddFolder2Zip=False

End Function

I may have missed something i have declared here due to my frustrations. Apologies.

> On Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:17 AM Ahmad wrote:

> Dear sir,
> I've some backed up files from variuous locations stored in a folder c:\data
> and i want to back fiels in that folder to a single file c:\data.zip
>
> i used :
> -============
> strComputer = "."
> Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
> Set colFolders = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
> ("Select * From Win32_Directory Where Name = 'C:\DBsBackup'")
> For Each objFolder in colFolders
> errResults = objFolder.Compress
> Next
> -============
> i just need any kind of scripts to make it in scheduled task
> but didn't work, any help ?
>
> thanks
> A. Sabry

>> On Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:45 AM Pegasus \(MVP\) wrote:

>> "Ahmad" <adsf(a)dsf.c> wrote in message
>>
>> The Compress method compresses all files in the specified
>> folder. It does not "zip" them up. You should also modify your
>> code like so:
>> ("Select * From Win32_Directory Where Name = 'C:\\DBsBackup'")
>>
>> Have a look here why one single post, perhaps cross-posted, is
>> much better than the multiple posts you made:
>> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

>>> On Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:05 AM Bob H wrote:

>>> Two points -
>>> 1 - (Pegasus) last time I looked, compressing a folder in XP (at least)
>>> resulted in a zip archive. Windows attempts to hide that (or make it
>>> invisible to the user), but if you look closer you should find the same
>>> result on your system. I have used this fact on numerous occasions....
>>> also the question was not how to zip - though it almost sounds that way at
>>> first. All he wanted to do was schedule the code he has.
>>>
>>> 2 - (A. Sabry) To schedule you task - just add it to you scheduled tasks
>>> in control panel. Use a command line invoking it with cscript and you
>>> should be all set.
>>>
>>> BH

>>> news:OsUkJ43sIHA.4912(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

From: Reventlov on
Il giorno Mon, 04 Oct 2010 14:25:06 GMT, Bernie Lee <bernie.lee(a)vsii.co.uk> ha scritto:

>I am trying to do some functions without the assistance of any external programs. Firstly i am looking for some files on the hard disk and if they are found (selected by date) they are copied to a new folder c:\vbsLogs\yymmdd_TTTT_VBS_Errors.log, this works just fine. I am then trying to zip up using XP compression into a zip file in VBSLogs. The zip file gets created but is empty i have used some code that i found here and tried to adapt it. Although i am missing something, (hence my post)
>
>My code for the part that isn't working:

The compression is actually done in a temp file and then copied in the original zip file.
If the script ends before the compression is done, the compression is aborted
You have to wait until the zip file actually grows.
See the code added below.

>Function CompressFolder
>'strLogOutputFolder = "C:\VBSLogs"
>CurrentPath = strLogOutputFolder & "\"
>
>'strLogDateFolder = "yymmdd_tttt_vbs_errors.log" (folder)
>ZipFile = CurrentPath & strLogDateFolder & ".ZIP"
>'File2Add = CurrentPath & strLogDateFolder & "\"
>Folder2Zip = strTargetFolder & "\"
>MsgBox Folder2Zip,0,"Folder2Zip..."
>a = CreateEmptyZip(ZipFile)
>a = AddFile2Zip (ZipFile, File2Add)
>a = AddFolder2Zip (ZipFile, Folder2Zip)

set fso=createobject("scripting.filesystemobject")
Set h=fso.getFile(ZipFile)
do
wscript.sleep 300
loop while h.size=< 22