From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> What you posted, "mediacodec-v4.143.exe", was another in a series
> new variants of the Zlob Trojan.
> Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 04.14.2006 Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Zlob.li

I uploaded that file to virustotal - but VT has been acting funny
lately (for me anyways). After upload, I got a window telling me it
would send the results via e-mail. To hell with that. What's up with
VT these days?

I then uploaded it to jotti, where NOTHING was found across the board,
including Kaspersky.

Jotti does give a nice bit of info about the packers that are used
(UPX, PE_PATCH, UPACK in this case) and based on that it does declare
the file as suspicious (that, and the fact that sandbox emulation took
a long time).
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| I uploaded that file to virustotal - but VT has been acting funny
| lately (for me anyways). After upload, I got a window telling me it
| would send the results via e-mail. To hell with that. What's up with
| VT these days?
|
| I then uploaded it to jotti, where NOTHING was found across the board,
| including Kaspersky.
|
| Jotti does give a nice bit of info about the packers that are used
| (UPX, PE_PATCH, UPACK in this case) and based on that it does declare
| the file as suspicious (that, and the fact that sandbox emulation took
| a long time).

Yeah, I had problems with the regular web page. However the Beta version of the new web
page works fine but the address is not for public consumption. As an alternate...
You can also submit a suspect, one at a time, via the following email URL...
mailto:scan(a)virustotal.com?subject=SCAN

DrWeb 4.33 04.14.2006 Trojan.Favadd
Fortinet 2.71.0.0 04.14.2006 suspicious
Ikarus 0.2.59.0 04.14.2006 Trojan.Favadd
Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 04.14.2006 Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Zlob.li
NOD32v2 1.1489 04.14.2006 Win32/TrojanDownloader.Zlob.LI
Panda 9.0.0.4 04.14.2006 Suspicious file

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Yeah, I had problems with the regular web page. However the Beta
> version of the new web page works fine but the address is not for
> public consumption. As an alternate...

Ok.

I just unpacked mediacodec-v4.143.exe with upx. Original was
something like 70kb. Unpacked version is 83,232 bytes.

Looking at the file, it is using the Nullsoft installer (Nullsoft
Install System v2.16). Doesn't seem to be any "unpacker" for that
type of archive. Lots of internal references to "Thawte"
certificates, as well as a reference to "www.media-codec.com" and
"www.kas.net.au".

I went back to VT and submitted the unpacked version. I got the "AV
scanning has stopped, but we'll send you the results via e-mail so
enter your e-mail address here". I entered an address and hit "ok"
(or what-ever). I immediately got the usual scan-results display
page(?!).

Again, nothing found across the board. Only Fortinet said
"suspicious".

Why am I seeing nothing, but you're seeing Zlob for this file?
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| Ok.
|
| I just unpacked mediacodec-v4.143.exe with upx. Original was
| something like 70kb. Unpacked version is 83,232 bytes.
|
| Looking at the file, it is using the Nullsoft installer (Nullsoft
| Install System v2.16). Doesn't seem to be any "unpacker" for that
| type of archive. Lots of internal references to "Thawte"
| certificates, as well as a reference to "www.media-codec.com" and
| "www.kas.net.au".
|
| I went back to VT and submitted the unpacked version. I got the "AV
| scanning has stopped, but we'll send you the results via e-mail so
| enter your e-mail address here". I entered an address and hit "ok"
| (or what-ever). I immediately got the usual scan-results display
| page(?!).
|
| Again, nothing found across the board. Only Fortinet said
| "suspicious".
|
| Why am I seeing nothing, but you're seeing Zlob for this file?

I don't know. However I know that this use of so-called CODECS is the recent ploy to get
people infected with the ZLob Trojan which will in turn get the SmitFraud Trojan family
installed; SpyAxe, SpyStriker, SpywareQuake, etc.

Many new variants are being deployed on a regular bassis.

From: pOTRice on
I have now carried out the procedures you recommended and here is the
report . .

Virus Scan Report File

Virus Scan Information

McAfee VirusScan for Win32 v4.40.0
Copyright (c) 1992-2004 Networks Associates Technology Inc. All rights
reserved.
(408) 988-3832 LICENSED COPY - Sep 23 2004

Scan engine v4.4.00 for Win32.
Virus data file v4741 created Apr 14 2006
Scanning for 186744 viruses, trojans and variants.

Virus Scan Results

04/14/2006 23:30:59

/ADL /UNZIP /WINMEM /SUB /ANALYZE /PANALYZE /STREAMS /CLEAN /ALL /DEL
/PROGRAM /EXCLUDE C:\MCAFEE\EXCLIST.TXT /HTML
C:\MCAFEE\NORMAL_SCANREPORT.HTML

Scanning C: [Main]
Scanning C:\*.*
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Installers\USB
under DOS\LeakTest.exe ... Found potentially unwanted program
LeakTest.
The file or process has been deleted.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Installers\USB
under DOS\xpkeys.zip\KEYFIND.EXE\OFFICEKEY.EXE ... Found potentially
unwanted program Generic PUP.a.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Installers\USB
under DOS\zerocmos.zip\KILLCMOS.COM ... Found the KillCMOS.a trojan
!!!
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Installers\USB
under DOS\zerocmos.zip\DUMPCMOS.COM ... Found potentially unwanted
program KillCMOS.h.

Summary report on C:\*.*
File(s)
Total files: ........... 55422
Clean: ................. 55151
Possibly Infected: ..... 1
Cleaned: ............... 0
Deleted: ............... 1
Non-critical Error(s): 2
Master Boot Record(s): ......... 1
Possibly Infected: ..... 0
Boot Sector(s): ................ 1
Possibly Infected: ..... 0
Scanning D: [BACKUP]
Scanning D:\*.*
D:\060205_256A\LeakTest.exe ... Found potentially unwanted program
LeakTest.
The file or process has been deleted.

Summary report on D:\*.*
File(s)
Total files: ........... 4544
Clean: ................. 4538
Possibly Infected: ..... 0
Cleaned: ............... 0
Deleted: ............... 1
Non-critical Error(s): 1
Master Boot Record(s): ......... 1
Possibly Infected: ..... 0
Boot Sector(s): ................ 1
Possibly Infected: ..... 0

Time: 00:31.49

I was disappointed that this did not result in the deletion of the
offending EXE - dfrgsrv. However, it did get rid of the Registry key.

I noticed that it deleted LeakTest which I would have thought should
have been recognised as the well known firewall test program from
the "Shields Up" site.

Is this another example of rivalry between the various Anti-Virus tool
writers? I remember that Norton insisted that my AVG Pro-protected PC
had no existing virus protection!

Anyway - panic over - many thanks for all your help - I'll be more
carefull next time. It's almost got to the point where you need a
'clone' PC to experiment with before risking the security of your
'real' PC.

pOTRice