From: Valdis.Kletnieks on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:02:01 +0800, you said:

> HTTP if more of an access protocol,the logical network is woven in
> the web page controled by html, the network needed is formed and take
> part in by tcp/ip protocol which usually lies in kernel.
>
> Kademlia itself has the responsibility to weave the p2p network and
> bring a node into the p2p network before access can be done.

You're still failing to explain why the kernel needs to do this
rather than some -lkademlia in userspace.

From: hp fk on

From: Valeo de Vries on
On 2 August 2010 16:33, hp fk <fkhp101(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/2 Valeo de Vries <valeo(a)valeo.co.cc>:
>
>> And why exactly can't this be done in userspace? I assume that since
>> you mention IP that (perhaps incorrectly) this protocol uses TCP/UDP
>> on the lower layers...
>
> using userspace p2p network service and �library might be another way
> to consolidate the protocol.
> in kernel �or in userspace service/library, each will have its own
> advantage and disadvantage. �like qemu-kvm and qemu userspace.

Sorry, but no. You're suggesting adding a protocol to the kernel that
fits better in userspace without actually coming up with any reasons
why having it in-kernel would be better. Not to mention that adding
yet another protocol to the kernel means more vectors for possible
exploits.

Valeo
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 08/02/2010 08:09 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks(a)vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:02:01 +0800, you said:
>
>> HTTP if more of an access protocol,the logical network is woven in
>> the web page controled by html, the network needed is formed and take
>> part in by tcp/ip protocol which usually lies in kernel.
>>
>> Kademlia itself has the responsibility to weave the p2p network and
>> bring a node into the p2p network before access can be done.
>
> You're still failing to explain why the kernel needs to do this
> rather than some -lkademlia in userspace.

Specifically, the reasons a network protocol goes in the kernel is
either because it needs a multiplex that isn't possible in userspace
(UDP, for example, needs a port number multiplex), or because acceptable
performance isn't possible in userspace (this mostly applies to NFS.)

-hpa

From: Bernd Petrovitsch on
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 20:24 +0800, hp fk wrote:

-ENO_REALNAME

> Kademlia protocol is widely used by many p2p applications, if kernel

-ENO_URL_WITH_INTRODUCTION_ON_KADEMLIA
-ENO_PATCH

[ Untechnical marketing and sales blurb deleted ]

Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch Email : bernd(a)petrovitsch.priv.at
LUGA : http://www.luga.at