From: krby_xtrm on
hi

I find it in many driver sample especially pci driver sample that
READ_PORT_ULONG is mainly on the OnInterrupt routine?

what if my device has no support for interrupt, say its a custom
hardware.
Where should such READ_PORT be?

ps.
How a StartDevice() routine is called?

krby_xtrm

From: Doron Holan [MS] on
you can read the port from any routine as long as the device is powered on.
you can read the port in start device or a DPC or whatever context you
choose.

Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. this alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

From: krby_xtrm on
i see.
but how does a StartDevice() is called?coz i cant find in many driver
samples that the routine is assigned or called?

-krby_xtrm-

From: Ali on
StartDevice is a helper routine you write to handle the details of
extracting and dealing with configuration information. In sample
drivers of Walter O. book "Windows Driver Model" , you can check the
source module named READWRITE.CPP for StartDevice understanding.

/ali

From: Eric Ahn on
It just helper function. don't mind driver model. but, check carefully
power of device.
If you know wdm or NT driver model, just use it.