From: universe on

hi!

i have a win 2003 sbs server with domain. i have following queries

i have created a new domain server and want that my old domains clients
can connect to new domain. i have created same user name on new domain
when i connected client with new domain it takes to new desktop on
client computer instead of the old desktop. can anybody suggest my any
solution?

--
universe
universe's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/246568.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
You must disjoin the client computers from the old domain and rejoin the
new domain. The wizard will not copy over the user profiles as they belong
to a different domain so you don't have permissions in the new domain. Best
bet is to copy them over manually, by logging on to the station as the domain
admin and taking ownership, if necessary, of the old profile. I usually
advise copying out the old profiles first, before disjoining from the old
domain.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

From: Steve Foster on
universe wrote:

> hi!
>
> i have a win 2003 sbs server with domain. i have following queries
>
> i have created a new domain server and want that my old domains
> clients can connect to new domain.

Why did you want a second AD domain?

> i have created same user name on
> new domain when i connected client with new domain it takes to new
> desktop on client computer instead of the old desktop. can anybody
> suggest my any solution?

They should login with the existing domain credentials. Then try to
connect to resources in the new domain, and at that point, Windows will
automatically offer their existing credentials. If they match an
account in the second domain, passthrough authentication will occur.
Otherwise, the user will be prompted for suitable credentials and be
offered the opportunity to save those for future use.

By having the users login with the second domain, they're creating new
desktop profiles that are completely independent of the profile based
on the existing domain.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: