From: Jim on
Have a customer who has an existing network on a 10.10.1.x range with a
subnet mask 255.0.0.0

They have a DHCP running on their old SBS 2003 server with a scope
10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254

We just replaced their SBS2003 server with SBS2008...and am having a little
trouble trying to replicate the network as they had it before..

Perhaps thats the first mistake... ;-)

Anyway, we've discovered that when you run the 'Connect to the Internet'
connectivity wizard and it just suggests/asks you to enter a server IP of
10.10.1.2 and a gateway of 10.10.1.254...it then sets up the DHCP
automatically on a 10.10.1.x range..

Not only this it sets the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.0.0.0

I guess we can jigger about with this manually but I really don't want to if
you think it's not a good thing to do.

Changing the DHCP scope manually to 10.0.0.x doesn't seem to be a good long
term solution as whenever you run the 'Connect to the Internet' wizard if
you enter the server IP as 10.10.1.2 it just resets the DHCP scope back to
10.10.1.x

What's the best thing to do ? can these settings be changed manually...or
should we just look at setting up a new range based solely on what the
connectivity wizard is capable of performing..

They say that they never had any bother setting it up like this in the
SBS2003 CEICW and wonder why I'm having such bother doing the same thing in
the SBS2008 wizard.

They've got lots of printers, 30 +, manually setup so all of these would
need changing.

Thoughts anyone ?

To setup what they had previously on SBS 2003:

All the servers on static IP
10.10.1.2 / 255.0.0.0
10.10.1.3 / 255.0.0.0
10.10.1.4 / 255.0.0.0
etc etc...

Printers static IP
10.10.1.201 / 255.0.0.0
10.10.1.202 / 255.0.0.0
10.10.1.203 / 255.0.0.0

SBS 2003 DHCP Scope 10.0.0.0 / 255.0.0.0

From: Steve Foster on
Jim wrote:

> Have a customer who has an existing network on a 10.10.1.x range with
> a subnet mask 255.0.0.0
>
> They have a DHCP running on their old SBS 2003 server with a scope
> 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254
>
> We just replaced their SBS2003 server with SBS2008...and am having a
> little trouble trying to replicate the network as they had it before..
>
> Perhaps thats the first mistake... ;-)
>
> Anyway, we've discovered that when you run the 'Connect to the
> Internet' connectivity wizard and it just suggests/asks you to enter
> a server IP of 10.10.1.2 and a gateway of 10.10.1.254...it then sets
> up the DHCP automatically on a 10.10.1.x range..
>
> Not only this it sets the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 instead of
> 255.0.0.0
>
> I guess we can jigger about with this manually but I really don't
> want to if you think it's not a good thing to do.
>
> Changing the DHCP scope manually to 10.0.0.x doesn't seem to be a
> good long term solution as whenever you run the 'Connect to the
> Internet' wizard if you enter the server IP as 10.10.1.2 it just
> resets the DHCP scope back to 10.10.1.x
>
> What's the best thing to do ? can these settings be changed
> manually...or should we just look at setting up a new range based
> solely on what the connectivity wizard is capable of performing..
>
> They say that they never had any bother setting it up like this in
> the SBS2003 CEICW and wonder why I'm having such bother doing the
> same thing in the SBS2008 wizard.
>
> They've got lots of printers, 30 +, manually setup so all of these
> would need changing.
>
> Thoughts anyone ?

If everything is actually on a single class-C subnet (which appears to
be the case), then you might just as well use a /24 (ie 255.255.255.0)
mask.

That some devices have a /8 (255.0...) mask is irrelevant. They'll
still communicate quite happily with the devices that have a more
restrictive mask.

I'd be making a plan to migrate those printers to DHCP Reservations too
(manually assigning IPs is a mugs game).

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: Jim on
That's what I thought Steve, I think it's all a throwback from years past.

Time for 'CHANGE !'

But basically there isn't any other recommended or better way to set this up
other than running the wizard which does not appear to cater for this kind
of scenario.

I'm not missing a trick or two anywhere in the wizards am I ?

Been through it several times now and it just seems to want to do its own
thing, ie 24bit mask..

From: Joe on
On 19/07/10 14:14, Steve Foster wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> Have a customer who has an existing network on a 10.10.1.x range with
>> a subnet mask 255.0.0.0
>>
>> They have a DHCP running on their old SBS 2003 server with a scope
>> 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254
>>
>> We just replaced their SBS2003 server with SBS2008...and am having a
>> little trouble trying to replicate the network as they had it before..
>>
>> Perhaps thats the first mistake... ;-)
>>
>> Anyway, we've discovered that when you run the 'Connect to the
>> Internet' connectivity wizard and it just suggests/asks you to enter
>> a server IP of 10.10.1.2 and a gateway of 10.10.1.254...it then sets
>> up the DHCP automatically on a 10.10.1.x range..
>>
>> Not only this it sets the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 instead of
>> 255.0.0.0
>>
>> I guess we can jigger about with this manually but I really don't
>> want to if you think it's not a good thing to do.
>>
>> Changing the DHCP scope manually to 10.0.0.x doesn't seem to be a
>> good long term solution as whenever you run the 'Connect to the
>> Internet' wizard if you enter the server IP as 10.10.1.2 it just
>> resets the DHCP scope back to 10.10.1.x
>>
>> What's the best thing to do ? can these settings be changed
>> manually...or should we just look at setting up a new range based
>> solely on what the connectivity wizard is capable of performing..
>>
>> They say that they never had any bother setting it up like this in
>> the SBS2003 CEICW and wonder why I'm having such bother doing the
>> same thing in the SBS2008 wizard.
>>
>> They've got lots of printers, 30 +, manually setup so all of these
>> would need changing.
>>
>> Thoughts anyone ?
>>

> If everything is actually on a single class-C subnet (which appears to
> be the case), then you might just as well use a /24 (ie 255.255.255.0)
> mask.

I've seen it stated fairly authoritatively (possibly Susan?) that
SBS2008 only does /24 networks.

> That some devices have a /8 (255.0...) mask is irrelevant. They'll
> still communicate quite happily with the devices that have a more
> restrictive mask.

Mmmmmmmmmmm... sometimes. I've seen quite a few funnies with the 10.
network, and I suspect some were due to mismatched netmasks, either
explicit or apparently hardcoded in some cases. Certainly avoid
netmasking it to /24 if you possibly can, but as I say, I don't think
SBS2008 possibly can.

--
Joe