From: Emma on
I want to say
="HELP"&Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]
I want the word HELP then the start date 2 and finally the ID
ie: HELP2010:12430
How do I put the text at the beginning?
From: Beetle on
Where are you putting this?

In the Control Source of control on a form/report?

Then it should work as posted provided that [Session Start Date 2]
and [ID] are in the object's record source.

In a query?

Then you just need a field alias and drop the = sign;

MyHelpText: "HELP" & Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]

--
_________

Sean Bailey

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:30:02 -0700, Emma <Emma(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I want to say
>="HELP"&Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]
>I want the word HELP then the start date 2 and finally the ID
>ie: HELP2010:12430
>How do I put the text at the beginning?

What you proposed should work correctly, if it's in the Control Source of the
textbox. I'd add some blanks:

="HELP" & Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]

If this isn't working for you please amplify - what's the context? Is this on
a Form, a Report, in a query? What error are you getting?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Emma on
This is the control source in a subform :

I tried slimming it down using fields in the subform
[Financial ID]:Format([DateofLoanAgreementSigned],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]

because Session Start Date 2 isn't in the subform table. So what do you
think I should do it's saying Expressions must begin with an ='s sign

So when I try =Format([DateofLoanAgreementSigned],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]
it says Circular Reference

From: Hans Up on
Emma wrote:
> This is the control source in a subform :
>
> I tried slimming it down using fields in the subform
> [Financial ID]:Format([DateofLoanAgreementSigned],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]
>
> because Session Start Date 2 isn't in the subform table. So what do you
> think I should do it's saying Expressions must begin with an ='s sign
>
> So when I try =Format([DateofLoanAgreementSigned],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID]
> it says Circular Reference

What is the name of the control whose source you want to modify? If it
is either DateofLoanAgreementSigned or ID, I don't think it will work.