From: Bill Martin on
Hi all,

Not a Linux guru, have been using Fedora somewhat casually and would
liked to migrate to "Mint" without losing all my Tbird email folders.
Any good place to look for a how-to on this?

TIA,
bill m
From: Matt Giwer on
On 05/24/2010 09:50 PM, Bill Martin wrote:
> Hi all,

> Not a Linux guru, have been using Fedora somewhat casually and would
> liked to migrate to "Mint" without losing all my Tbird email folders.
> Any good place to look for a how-to on this?

copy the .thunderbird file and then restore it.

Hard drives are so cheap these days and a good enough one probably in an old
computer you have that the OS should be installed on it and a symlink to the
data disk added in the root directory.

ln -s /mountpoint/data_drive/home home

Any drive of 10GB or so should be big enough to install linux, definitely
20GB is big enough. A little searching and you can find cheap 40GB drives
almost any place, cheap as in under $40 and often much less.

I have been doing this for years without a problem. This way you can install
the latest release as easily as updating the previous release and nothing
changes once the symlink directs home to the data drive. There is no risk of
data loss, nothing to backup and reinstall.

--
After you switch to the new light bulbs you forget
where you keep the spare bulbs. It is a very
From: Bill Martin on
Matt Giwer wrote:
> On 05/24/2010 09:50 PM, Bill Martin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>> Not a Linux guru, have been using Fedora somewhat casually and would
>> liked to migrate to "Mint" without losing all my Tbird email folders.
>> Any good place to look for a how-to on this?
>
> copy the .thunderbird file and then restore it.
>
> Hard drives are so cheap these days and a good enough one probably
> in an old computer you have that the OS should be installed on it and a
> symlink to the data disk added in the root directory.
>
> ln -s /mountpoint/data_drive/home home
>
> Any drive of 10GB or so should be big enough to install linux,
> definitely 20GB is big enough. A little searching and you can find cheap
> 40GB drives almost any place, cheap as in under $40 and often much less.
>
> I have been doing this for years without a problem. This way you can
> install the latest release as easily as updating the previous release
> and nothing changes once the symlink directs home to the data drive.
> There is no risk of data loss, nothing to backup and reinstall.

Thanks, I had hoped it might be this simple...but when in doubt, ask!

bill

Pages: 1
Prev: pure-ftpd Config Verification
Next: bash script