From: Rod Pemberton on

"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote in message

> "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > Sorry, but 9/30 also 06 for me.
> > >

> > Good news is no more 06!
> >
> > 10/01 gives 07
> >
> > Huh, no coprocessor installed?!?!... Did you enable or disable the
> > coprocessor? I don't think it blew, but I'll see if I can find a
program
> > check somewhere.
> >
> > If I boot A: from DOS with my half-baked program, it boots then gives
03.

> 10/03 gives 01
>
> (My boot prgm gives 06 after booting)

Is this helping any? Do you have some idea of what is/isn't working and
why?

Rod Pemberton

From: Mike Gonta on
On Oct 4, 6:40 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote:

> Is this helping any?

Thanks for your help Rod.
The complete fasm source code is now available.
The latest version is here

http://mikegonta.com/aeBIOS

Mike Gonta

look and see - many look but few see

From: s_dubrovich on
On Oct 4, 8:14 pm, Mike Gonta <mikego...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 6:40 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote:
>
> > Is this helping any?
>
> Thanks for your help Rod.
> The complete fasm source code is now available.
> The latest version is here
>
> http://mikegonta.com/aeBIOS
>
> Mike Gonta
>
> look and see - many look but few see

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the source..
V20070929 works on my Pentium mmx dell laptop but
V20071004 reverts to 'Floppy Disk Read failed - Press any key'

Thxs,
Steve

From: Rod Pemberton on

"Mike Gonta" <mikegonta(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 4, 6:40 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote:
>
> > Is this helping any?
>
> Thanks for your help Rod.
> The complete fasm source code is now available.
> The latest version is here
>
> http://mikegonta.com/aeBIOS

I haven't used FASM much, so I didn't know how you get FASM to build these
into a single image. FASM seems to only compile a single .asm file, not
multiple files. Most don't compile singly and I didn't see any externs.
So, I merged most of them into a single file and inserted a times directive
between pm2rm2pm.asm and bootloader.asm:
TIMES 17408-($-sector2) db 0

(I'm temporarily ignoring the fact I'm mixing copyrights and PD code.)

From the compilation errors and comparisons with dumps of the binary .img, I
ended up merging them together in this order:

bootsector.asm
second.asm
stack.asm
pm_int.asm
rm_int.asm
pm2rm2pm.asm
bootloader.asm
fat.asm (removed)

I had fat.asm at the end. But, the resulting .bin when written to the
floppy isn't recognized as a DOS disk. Since it didn't recognize as
a DOS disk, I wasn't sure how to get START onto the disk and move the FAT12
FAT's with START's file chain allocation to aeBIOS' FAT's. I can copy START
to the disk with newly formatted as a DOS disk. But, then the FAT12 FAT's
and file chain are overwritten by aeBIOS. With fat.asm in the image, the
aeBIOS FAT's are blanked, and fat.asm overwrites the directory... It looked
like I needed a util to relocate the FAT12 FAT's to the aeBIOS FAT's and
remove fat.asm from aeBIOS to prevent it from blanking the copied FAT's.
Could you use the default FAT12 FAT locations and/or fix the BPB and/or EPBP
so it's recognized as a DOS disk?

Instead of trying to install START and relocating the FAT's, I'm using the
ones from your .img. Actually, I'm overwriting your binary .img with the
..img from the above source.

Since I first tried assembling most of the files seperately, I found some
issues:

1) _VERSION is in bootsector.asm but used by pm_int.asm
2) two calls to print in bootloader.asm should be to print2 instead,
perhaps?
3) the initial jmp in bootsector.asm is compiling to a one byte shorter
sequence than in .img
4) bootsector and bootloader seem reversed in aeBIOS QSG doc compared to
the source files
5) bootsector.asm and bootloader.asm are not 8.3 filenames
6) no easy way to place START or relocate FAT12 FAT's to aeBIOS FAT's

#3 makes curious as to whether you were using NASM. Anyway, the resulting
combination of an image gets the same 01/06, so I should be able to drop in
code now and see what I can find.

Rod Pemberton

From: Rod Pemberton on

"Mike Gonta" <mikegonta(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 4, 6:40 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote:
>
> > Is this helping any?
>
> Thanks for your help Rod.

bootloader calls read_sector. The first int 13h in read_sector calls
pm_int_13h which fails between "call pm2rm" and "call 0:rm2pm". I'm not
sure if the problem is the args or the BIOS routine or what, yet.

Rod Pemberton