From: GinetteB on
Thank you so much for your answer. I got the complete error message:

0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80546E70, 0xB2000010, 0x00010C0F)

I tried to uninstall the display adapters driver and reboot in normal mode,
but that didn't help (I guess that's what you meant with 'video card driver'?)

So what could I try next?

From: Gerry on
Ginette

Background information on Stop Error message:

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
(This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred.
The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you
have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most
commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU,
hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its
capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).
Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Stop error message in Windows XP that you may receive: "0x0000009C
(0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

The awkward item to test for most home users is the power supply unit as
spare units are not usually available.

Have you made any changes recently to installed hardware?

Does the problem show during after the boot process? Does it occur if
you disconnect all except monitor, mouse and keyboard?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~