From: davy on
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> davy wrote:
>> Hi. I have been adding alt attribute to the jpegs on my website. The
>> text boxes are there on the Preview tab(Frontpage) and they appear on
>> IE but when I checked they don't appear on Firefox or Chrome.
>
> An alt tag should only be displayed by a browser when the image cannot
> be. Naturally, IE gets it wrong.
>
>> I have some text boxes on my index page that appear on all browsers.
>> Any thoughts?
>
> By 'text boxes' do you mean tool tips? These should appear when you
> hover over an element and are different to alt tags.

From the book I'm using as a reference:
"The alt attribute adds a text pop-up to your image."
Hope that helps,
From: davy on
Craig Welch wrote:
> davy wrote:
>
>> Hi. I have been adding alt attribute to the jpegs on my website. The
>> text boxes are there on the Preview tab(Frontpage) and they appear on
>> IE but when I checked they don't appear on Firefox or Chrome. I have
>> some text boxes on my index page that appear on all browsers.
>> Any thoughts?
>
> What do you mean by 'text boxes'? What does this have to do with 'alt
> attributes'?

From the book I'm using as a reference:

From: Hunter on
davy wrote:
> Hi. I have been adding alt attribute to the jpegs on my website. The
> text boxes are there on the Preview tab(Frontpage) and they appear on IE
> but when I checked they don't appear on Firefox or Chrome. I have some
> text boxes on my index page that appear on all browsers.
> Any thoughts?

That's because Microsoft don't do anything like anyone else. Try
"title=" instead of "alt=". If this fucks it up for IE then try both.

From: davy on
Hunter wrote:
> davy wrote:
>> Hi. I have been adding alt attribute to the jpegs on my website. The
>> text boxes are there on the Preview tab(Frontpage) and they appear on
>> IE but when I checked they don't appear on Firefox or Chrome. I have
>> some text boxes on my index page that appear on all browsers.
>> Any thoughts?
>

> That's because Microsoft don't do anything like anyone else. Try
> "title=" instead of "alt=". If this fucks it up for IE then try both.

I added the "title=" and the little "text pop-ups" appear on all browsers..
All within my limited range of abilities to.
Thanks for that.
From: Hunter on
davy wrote:
> Hunter wrote:
>> davy wrote:
>>> Hi. I have been adding alt attribute to the jpegs on my website. The
>>> text boxes are there on the Preview tab(Frontpage) and they appear on
>>> IE but when I checked they don't appear on Firefox or Chrome. I have
>>> some text boxes on my index page that appear on all browsers.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>

>> That's because Microsoft don't do anything like anyone else. Try
>> "title=" instead of "alt=". If this fucks it up for IE then try both.
>>
> I added the "title=" and the little "text pop-ups" appear on all browsers..
> All within my limited range of abilities to.
> Thanks for that.

No worries, "title" is the correct standard by the way, MS just like
being difficult.