From: annalissa on
Hi all,

The following is what i have read in a magazine named "linux for
you" , To what extent this is true ?

The general rule is that you should always create the locations that
need frequent I/O -/home, swap on the outer tracks , the easiest way
to achieve this is to create these partitions first when partitioning
your hard disk ?

Reason all modern H.D.D's use a concept called ZCAV(zonal constant
angular velocity). this takes advantage of the fact that more linear
space is available on the outer tracks of the disk platter rather than
on the inside tracks. now since the disk spins at a constant rate ,
which is also known as CAV (constant angular velocity) the read/write
I/O speed will be greater at the outer tracks as compared to the inner
tracks
From: Aragorn on
On Saturday 17 July 2010 12:38 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as annalissa wrote...

> Hi all,
>
> The following is what i have read in a magazine named "linux for
> you" , To what extent this is true ?
>
> The general rule is that you should always create the locations that
> need frequent I/O -/home, swap on the outer tracks , the easiest way
> to achieve this is to create these partitions first when partitioning
> your hard disk ?
>
> Reason all modern H.D.D's use a concept called ZCAV(zonal constant
> angular velocity). this takes advantage of the fact that more linear
> space is available on the outer tracks of the disk platter rather than
> on the inside tracks. now since the disk spins at a constant rate ,
> which is also known as CAV (constant angular velocity) the read/write
> I/O speed will be greater at the outer tracks as compared to the inner
> tracks

While the above is true, I don't think that there would be a significant
performance impact if you happen to have the filesystems with the most
frequent I/O closer to the spindle. It will be measurable via
benchmarks, yes, but whether you will actually notice it as a user is
something I tend to question. ;-)

There are also a few other considerations if you want to take that
article serious, i.e. if your system has a lot of RAM, then you will
most likely not be using swap at all, or only under very rare
circumstances.

Next to that, "/usr" is a filesystem which is primarily read-only, so it
will under normal circumstances not be written to - I myself always
have "/boot", "/usr" and "/opt" mounted read-only during normal
operation - but just because it's not being written to does not mean
it's not being read. "/usr" is where the bulk of the software is
installed - technically: everything that is required for multi-user
operation. "/opt" is similar, except that it's for optional software,
i.e. software which does not integrate well with the "/usr" hierarchy
and may have been added on later. "/usr/local" shares a similar
purpose as "/opt" but is intended for software which was installed from
sources by the sysadmin, as opposed to software in binary form supplied
via the distribution-specific package manager.

So, all things considered, I would take the advice from that article
with a grain of salt. Yes, it is good advice, but there are more
things to consider, as I have elaborated upon in the above
paragraphs. ;-)

That said, here's how I have organized things on this machine here...

/dev/hda2 393M 179M 214M 46% /
/dev/hda1 197M 38M 159M 20% /boot
/dev/hda3 9.8G 2.5G 7.3G 26% /usr
/dev/hda6 746M 33M 714M 5% /opt
/dev/hda7 2.0G 359M 1.6G 18% /var
/dev/hda8 298M 33M 266M 11% /usr/local
/dev/hda9 79G 2.4G 77G 4% /home
/dev/hda10 21G 3.2G 18G 16% /srv
none 1014M 52K 1014M 1% /tmp

The swap partition is "/dev/hda5", and it barely gets used. This is a
32-bit PCLinuxOS installation on a system with 2 GB of RAM, and as you
can see, I have "/usr" pretty close up front, and "/home" still more to
the rear, but this is a 120 GB hard disk and "/home" is by far the
largest of the partitions. I have "/srv" last, but it only contains
static data on this system - i.e. multimedia files which should be
accessible to all user accounts - and it doesn't get used much. I also
have "/tmp" on a tmpfs, so its contents live in RAM only, which is
faster than any disk.

Hope this helps. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*