From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On Aug 20, 10:59 pm, "H. Peter Anvin" <h...(a)zytor.com> wrote:
> Alexei A. Frounze wrote:
>
> >> 48 90 = rex.w nop = xchg rax,rax
>
> > Should be a NOP effectively.
>
> >> 49 90 = rex.wb nop = xchg rax,r8
>
> > Same here.
>
> Not a NOP, certainly...

Oops, sorry, missed B. So, it's an XCHG,

> > So, did you do the last two under a debugger? If you did, on what CPU
> > brand? Intel, AMD or both?
>
> Not under a debugger, but yes, I executed them (inside a small C
> program). AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (socket 939).

Then what? The AMD doc confirmed and opcode 0x90 can indeed represent
either NOP or XCHG?

Alex
From: Wolfgang Kern on

Alexei A. Frounze wrote:

>> 48 90 = rex.w nop = xchg rax,rax

> Should be a NOP effectively.

Yes, but this NOP may cost a few cycles in opposition to single bytes.
__
wolfgang

From: H. Peter Anvin on
Alexei A. Frounze wrote:

> Then what? The AMD doc confirmed and opcode 0x90 can indeed represent
> either NOP or XCHG?

Yes.

-hpa
From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On Aug 21, 9:11 am, "H. Peter Anvin" <h...(a)zytor.com> wrote:
> Alexei A. Frounze wrote:
>
> > Then what? The AMD doc confirmed and opcode 0x90 can indeed represent
> > either NOP or XCHG?
>
> Yes.

I had an impression you were opposing this and it now seems like you
aren't/weren't. I must've misspoken something else... Oh, well. :)

Alex