From: JMR on
Hello,

I have once more tried to install from live cd on a primary partition
from my first disk.
Everything seemed to be ok but at restart i get the following messages :

Filesystem is clean.
fsck succeeded.Mounting root device read-write.
Mounting root /dev/disk/by-label/SUSE-11.2
mount -o rev -t reiserfs /dev/disk/by-label/SUSE-11.2/root
mount : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda4
running code page or helper program
could not mount root file system
exiting to /bin/sh
sh : cannot set terminal process group (-1) : inappropriate ioctl for device
sh : no job control in this shell.

Could it be a hardware problem ?

I do not know what to do.
All my installations (since 8.2) were always easy but this time i am
rather stranded

Thank you for your tips

JMR
From: Vlad_Inhaler on
On Dec 14, 1:03 pm, JMR <j...(a)nowhere.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have once more tried to install from live cd on a primary partition
> from my first disk.
> Everything seemed to be ok but at restart i get the following messages :
>
> Filesystem is clean.
> fsck succeeded.Mounting root device read-write.
> Mounting root /dev/disk/by-label/SUSE-11.2
> mount -o rev -t reiserfs /dev/disk/by-label/SUSE-11.2/root
> mount : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda4
> running code page or helper program
> could not mount root file system
> exiting to /bin/sh
> sh : cannot set terminal process group (-1) : inappropriate ioctl for device
> sh : no job control in this shell.
>
> Could it be a hardware problem ?
>
> I do not know what to do.
> All my installations (since 8.2) were always easy but this time i am
> rather stranded
>
> Thank you for your tips
>
> JMR

I abandoned ReiserFS years ago when I hit a (SuSE) level which needed
around 20-30 seconds to mount each ReiserFS partition - and I had
around 6 of them, so I can't really check this but . . .

My guess is that your InitFS (is that what it is called?) does not
contain the ReiserFS module. That would either be a major bug in the
Installation Routine, or you accidentally did something bad while
installing. I'd say the chances are with 'major bug' except that no-
one else seems to have reported this problem.

How to get out of this mess?
1 - I don't know how to re-create the InitFS under those
circumstances, someone else might

2 - under some kind of 'rescue system' (maybe the 11.1 one), you could
copy your root filesystem somewhere else, reformat to ext3 and copy
back again. The commands I use for that are:
cd /source-file-system
tar cf - . | (cd /dest-file-system ; tar xf - )
Which copies everything except the sockets. Then modify /etc/fstab to
say ext3. /root and /usr (if a separate partition) really need to be
easily mountable. You can then experiment a bit getting /home up and
running.

3 - assuming you have a separate partition for /home, maybe even do a
fresh install rather than an update. I'd try and rescue /etc first
using the stuff in option 2

Other people can and will disagree :-)
From: Vlad_Inhaler on
On Dec 14, 1:03 pm, JMR <j...(a)nowhere.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have once more tried to install from live cd on a primary partition
> from my first disk.
>
> JMR

I only just noticed the lines above. 'installing from live cd' is not
a common update path and it looks as though the live cd has forgotten
reiserfs.
From: JMR on
DenverD a �crit :
> JMR wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have once more tried to install from live cd on a primary partition
>> from my first disk.
>> Everything seemed to be ok but at restart i get the following messages :
>>
>> Filesystem is clean.
>> fsck succeeded.Mounting root device read-write.
>> Mounting root /dev/disk/by-label/SUSE-11.2
>> mount -o rev -t reiserfs /dev/disk/by-label/SUSE-11.2/root
>> mount : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda4
>> running code page or helper program
>> could not mount root file system
>> exiting to /bin/sh
>> sh : cannot set terminal process group (-1) : inappropriate ioctl for
>> device
>> sh : no job control in this shell.
>>
>> Could it be a hardware problem ?
>>
>> I do not know what to do.
>> All my installations (since 8.2) were always easy but this time i am
>> rather stranded
>>
>> Thank you for your tips
>
> you say you are trying to install...but, it sounds like you are trying
> to *upgrade* (because i am sure that 11.2 didn't default to installing
> reiserfs)..
I did a fresh install and choose reiserfs as fs (among ext3,ext4,..)
If they propose the reiserfs choice i suppose they support it...
And before installing i had cleared the partition to get free space
because i suspected a hardware problem or something like that.
I did not choose ext4 because it seems there are some problems with it.
May be i could select ext3 or go back to suse 11.1
When launching the install i had to take the option acpi off because the
mouse did not work.
Never had such troubles installing a linux distro (suse, mandrake,
ubuntu...)

> and, upgrading from anything other than 11.1 is *not* supported by the
> 11.2 install media...
>
> back up your data and do a fresh format & install from the DVD and you
> will probably have have much better success..
Do you think the dvd would be better than the live cd ? Why ?

> but, before you do: yes it might be a hardware problem, do you have
> the minimum recommended for 11.2 (500 MB RAM and i don't know, its on
> the web site)
I have 1,2Gb memory an athlon 2000.
Thank you for the help

From: Rob on
Vlad_Inhaler <andrew.williams(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> I abandoned ReiserFS years ago when I hit a (SuSE) level which needed
> around 20-30 seconds to mount each ReiserFS partition - and I had
> around 6 of them, so I can't really check this but . . .

Of course this time is dwarfed by the time it will take to run
fsck.ext3 on your 6 disks formatted in ext3, when you boot the system
and it decides that too much time has gone between checks.