From: jemptymethod on
I would like to encourage Tcl developers to use the hv3 web browser
written in Tcl. The underlying project is open source but has
stagnated and I think could be an excellent opportunity for Tcl
developers to get involved.

Windows and Linux versions can be downloaded at: http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html
You can grab the executables if you just want to start browsing, or
the starkits if you want to unwrap them and start hacking.

The usenet group for the underlying tkhmtl project is at:
http://groups.google.com/group/tkhtml3

Supposedly tkhtml has been forked (http://sourceforge.net/projects/
tkhtml/develop) but no files seem to have released.
From: Kevin Walzer on
On 7/26/10 7:21 AM, jemptymethod wrote:
> I would like to encourage Tcl developers to use the hv3 web browser
> written in Tcl. The underlying project is open source but has
> stagnated and I think could be an excellent opportunity for Tcl
> developers to get involved.
>
> Windows and Linux versions can be downloaded at: http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html
> You can grab the executables if you just want to start browsing, or
> the starkits if you want to unwrap them and start hacking.
>
> The usenet group for the underlying tkhmtl project is at:
> http://groups.google.com/group/tkhtml3
>
> Supposedly tkhtml has been forked (http://sourceforge.net/projects/
> tkhtml/develop) but no files seem to have released.

I am sticking with TkHTML2 not because it's superior but because it is
much easier to use. It comes with a simple example client script (the
original hv.tcl) which has been hacked on over the past several years,
and most of the bugs/limitations/quirks of it have been figured out or
worked around.

TkHTML3 lacks a similar, simple example script for displaying simple
HTML or a basic web page. hv3, which is a full-blown web browser,
doesn't serve this purpose.

I think the reason no one has taken up the TkHTML3 mantle is the
complexity of the task. Dan Kennedy worked on it full-time for two or
three years just to bring it to its current alpha-state. It seems to be
a massive undertaking, one that's certainly beyond my capabilities.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
From: jemptymethod on
On Jul 26, 10:10 am, Kevin Walzer <k...(a)codebykevin.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/10 7:21 AM, jemptymethod wrote:
>
> > I would like to encourage Tcl developers to use the hv3 web browser
> > written in Tcl.  The underlying project is open source but has
> > stagnated and I think could be an excellent opportunity for Tcl
> > developers to get involved.
>
> > Windows and Linux versions can be downloaded at:http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html
> > You can grab the executables if you just want to start browsing, or
> > the starkits if you want to unwrap them and start hacking.
>
> > The usenet group for the underlying tkhmtl project is at:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/tkhtml3
>
> > Supposedly tkhtml has been forked (http://sourceforge.net/projects/
> > tkhtml/develop) but no files seem to have released.
>
> I am sticking with TkHTML2 not because it's superior but because it is
> much easier to use. It comes with a simple example client script (the
> original hv.tcl) which has been hacked on over the past several years,
> and most of the bugs/limitations/quirks of it have been figured out or
> worked around.
>
> TkHTML3 lacks a similar, simple example script for displaying simple
> HTML or a basic web page. hv3, which is a full-blown web browser,
> doesn't serve this purpose.
>
> I think the reason no one has taken up the TkHTML3 mantle is the
> complexity of the task.

That sounds about right. And I must admit, I have an agenda. I've
used hv3 as the custom brower within "deskml" (with modifications), a
platform for developing desktop apps from web content, not unlike
Adobe AIR: http://code.google.com/p/deskml/

Now I've used the deskml platform to create an ebook as an .exe file
with an embedded Javascript widget. Windows version is at:
http://deskml.nfshost.com/dwpress/stauntons_footsteps.exe The biggest
issue with the prototype is that the CSS min-width attribute is not
working, so if sometimes the columns in the chess board within the
ebook disappear, that is why.

This issue (the CSS min-width attribute) is the subject of the most
recent post on the tkhtml group. The more Tcl'ers who use hv3, the
better chance I have of getting that question answered.

I'm not nearly as good of a Tcl dev as web dev :( If I must I will
try to get there on my own. But I'd rather get some more talented Tcl
developers involved, to push both the platform and ebook concept
forward, as well as hv3 (As for my web dev abilities, to debug a
different issue this past weekend while developing my chess/ebook
prototype, I developed a crude equivalent of Firebug's console.log for
the hv3 browser embedded in deskml).

I believe pushing all of the above could amount to some useful Tcl
advocacy not to mention the entrepreneurial opportunities; for
instance, I've worked on a team at Yahoo! who'd previously worked with
a (serial) entrepreneur (with VC ties) who sold his browser-based tech
company to Yahoo! for tens of millions. Adobe has spent 10s of
millions on AIR but I glued deskml together in a couple of weekends.
I'm betting hv3, deskml and/or dynamic ebooks are "worth" at least
that much as prototypes, and am looking to attract some fellow
gamblers. Improvements to hv3 and/or deskml would certainly be
readily provided as open source, whereas the model for the dynamic/
ebooks would be to find customers/publishers wanting to leverage a
framework to create ebooks, which would readers would then pay for
just as they do for books on Kindle. The very narrow chess vertical
is intended as a proving ground, in the hope that the concept could
eventually be applied to broader genres.
From: hae on

Hi,

just tried your ebook. I am behind a proxy and get a few error
messages about not connecting. Here is one:

------->8-------->8--------------

couldn't open socket: connection refused
couldn't open socket: connection refused
while executing
"::http::geturl http://tom.jabber.ee/chessblog/wp-content/pgnviewer/img/zurich/board/darksquare.gif
-command {::hv3::protocol::inst1 _DownloadCallback ..."
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval $geturl"
(procedure "request_http" line 70)
invoked from within
"request_http ::hv3::protocol::inst1 ::hv3::request::inst6"
(in namespace eval "::hv3::protocol" script line 1)
invoked from within
"namespace eval ::hv3::protocol $m ::hv3::protocol::inst1 $args"
(procedure "::hv3::protocol::inst1" line 1)
invoked from within
"::hv3::protocol::inst1 request_http ::hv3::request::inst6"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval [concat $O(scheme.$uri_scheme) $downloadHandle]"
(procedure "requestcmd" line 18)
invoked from within
"requestcmd ::hv3::protocol::inst1 ::hv3::request::inst6"
(in namespace eval "::hv3::protocol" script line 1)
invoked from within
"namespace eval ::hv3::protocol $m ::hv3::protocol::inst1 $args"
(procedure "::hv3::protocol::inst1" line 1)
invoked from within
"::hv3::protocol::inst1 requestcmd ::hv3::request::inst6"
invoked from within
"catch $cmd errmsg"
(procedure "makerequest" line 10)
invoked from within
"makerequest ::hv3::hv3::inst1 ::hv3::request::inst6"
(in namespace eval "::hv3::hv3" script line 1)
invoked from within
"namespace eval ::hv3::hv3 $m ::hv3::hv3::inst1 $args"
(procedure "::hv3::hv3::inst1" line 1)
invoked from within
"$me makerequest $handle"
(procedure "Imagecmd" line 22)
invoked from within
"Imagecmd ::hv3::hv3::inst1 http://tom.jabber.ee/chessblog/wp-content/pgnviewer/img/zurich/board/darksquare.gif"
(in namespace eval "::hv3::hv3" script line 1)
invoked from within
"namespace eval ::hv3::hv3 $m ::hv3::hv3::inst1 $args"
(procedure "::hv3::hv3::inst1" line 1)
invoked from within
"::hv3::hv3::inst1 Imagecmd http://tom.jabber.ee/chessblog/wp-content/pgnviewer/img/zurich/board/darksquare.gif"

-------8<--------8<--------------

Maybe you could first check if a connection can be established. If not
you could then ask for connection settings.

I once was eager too try out tkhtml but it was complex to use it and I
gave up. So having an simple script that sets up most things - as
Kevin suggests - would really.

Rüdiger

From: hae on
Hello,

just downloaded the hv3-win32-nightly-08_0203.exe. How can I set up
the connection settings, ie. proxy name and port?

Rüdiger