From: the_niner_nation on
Finally migrated to a quad core imac this week and well worth the wait. at
the apple store, i was also sold ( quiet beautifully, i might add) something
called a ' one to one' service. I was told that for �89 per year I can have
as many individual 'coaching' sessions as I need to make a smooth migration
from windows and also to work on projects.

It was very easy to book online and I promptly booked myself for a project
workshop one to one to create a dvd slide show .

I was really looking forward to the session and arrived, with sd cards with
photos and videos only to be told by the greasy oink in the store with a
wolly hat that i can only do the project if i know the mac system to an
advanced standard. this totally puzzeled me as i was promised help to
migrate from windows to a mac as a big part of this one to one nonsense.

I asked what i had signed up for and he basically told me to come back and
re-book once i was more familiar with the mac.

what a blatant and utter rip off and waste of money. the store also wouldn't
give me a refund or clarify exactly what my �89 pays for. they explained
again that its for workshops, projects and one to one tuition yet my booked
session was not going to happen , thye wouldn't say why except that my mac
skills arnt high enough to do the project..duuuhhh??!!! thats why i signed
up!!!

I had to travel 15 miles to the store, fight for parking only to be turned
away by the hyper-sweaty oink in a wolly hat i dont qualify for their
training as im not an advanced mac user. I dont see the point in 'doing a
project' in an apple store for 3 hours when i could be doing it in the
comfort of my own home.

how the hell did apple get away with this blatant rip off???

From: Lynn W on
On 5/12/09 23:26, in article 7o08h9F3oanrmU1(a)mid.individual.net,
"the_niner_nation" <the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote:

> Finally migrated to a quad core imac this week and well worth the wait. at
> the apple store, i was also sold ( quiet beautifully, i might add) something
> called a ' one to one' service. I was told that for �89 per year I can have
> as many individual 'coaching' sessions as I need to make a smooth migration
> from windows and also to work on projects.
>
> It was very easy to book online and I promptly booked myself for a project
> workshop one to one to create a dvd slide show .
>
> I was really looking forward to the session and arrived, with sd cards with
> photos and videos only to be told by the greasy oink in the store with a
> wolly hat that i can only do the project if i know the mac system to an
> advanced standard. this totally puzzeled me as i was promised help to
> migrate from windows to a mac as a big part of this one to one nonsense.
>
> I asked what i had signed up for and he basically told me to come back and
> re-book once i was more familiar with the mac.
>
> what a blatant and utter rip off and waste of money. the store also wouldn't
> give me a refund or clarify exactly what my �89 pays for. they explained
> again that its for workshops, projects and one to one tuition yet my booked
> session was not going to happen , thye wouldn't say why except that my mac
> skills arnt high enough to do the project..duuuhhh??!!! thats why i signed
> up!!!
>
> I had to travel 15 miles to the store, fight for parking only to be turned
> away by the hyper-sweaty oink in a wolly hat i dont qualify for their
> training as im not an advanced mac user. I dont see the point in 'doing a
> project' in an apple store for 3 hours when i could be doing it in the
> comfort of my own home.
>
> how the hell did apple get away with this blatant rip off???

I had one to one when I converted to the Mac. I went to the Trafford Centre
in Manchester and they were brilliant. I was a complete novice and nothing
was too much trouble. I can't fault them and they continue to be great if
you ever call in to the Store to ask questions, advice etc. The only thing
I could fault with the 'one to one' is that very often an hour isn't long
enough so you may have learn something over a period of lessons. I think you
are just going to the wrong store!
Lynn

From: Graham J on

"the_niner_nation" <the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote in message
> Finally migrated to a quad core imac this week and well worth the wait. at
> the apple store, i was also sold ( quiet beautifully, i might add)
> something called a ' one to one' service. I was told that for �89 per year
> I can have as many individual 'coaching' sessions as I need to make a
> smooth migration from windows and also to work on projects.
>
> It was very easy to book online and I promptly booked myself for a project
> workshop one to one to create a dvd slide show .
>
> I was really looking forward to the session and arrived, with sd cards
> with photos and videos only to be told by the greasy oink in the store
> with a wolly hat that i can only do the project if i know the mac system
> to an advanced standard. this totally puzzeled me as i was promised help
> to migrate from windows to a mac as a big part of this one to one
> nonsense.
>
> I asked what i had signed up for and he basically told me to come back and
> re-book once i was more familiar with the mac.
>
> what a blatant and utter rip off and waste of money. the store also
> wouldn't give me a refund or clarify exactly what my �89 pays for. they
> explained again that its for workshops, projects and one to one tuition
> yet my booked session was not going to happen , thye wouldn't say why
> except that my mac skills arnt high enough to do the project..duuuhhh??!!!
> thats why i signed up!!!
>
> I had to travel 15 miles to the store, fight for parking only to be turned
> away by the hyper-sweaty oink in a wolly hat i dont qualify for their
> training as im not an advanced mac user. I dont see the point in 'doing a
> project' in an apple store for 3 hours when i could be doing it in the
> comfort of my own home.
>
> how the hell did apple get away with this blatant rip off???

Let others beware!

If you're starting from nothing, then �89 would barely buy you 2 hours
teaching in your own home from a competent trainer. And it is the teaching
at the early stage of using a new computer system that is the most
important.

Once you have that you can probably teach yourself to create a DVD slide
show, or use mailmerge to create your Christmas card address labels. The
fundamentals are what allows you to formulate questions in a way that more
knowledgeable users will understand what it is you're asking, so that you
will then understand their answers.

Migrating from Windows to Mac is not like buying a new car. Rather it is
like migrating from using trains to driving your own car - you probably
wouldn't buy a car without having driving lessons and passing the test!

--
Graham J

From: the_niner_nation on

"Graham J" <graham(a)nospam.zen.co.uk> wrote in message

> "the_niner_nation" <the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote in message
>> Finally migrated to a quad core imac this week and well worth the wait.
>> at the apple store, i was also sold ( quiet beautifully, i might add)
>> something called a ' one to one' service. I was told that for �89 per
>> year I can have as many individual 'coaching' sessions as I need to make
>> a smooth migration from windows and also to work on projects.
>>
>> It was very easy to book online and I promptly booked myself for a
>> project workshop one to one to create a dvd slide show .
>>
>> I was really looking forward to the session and arrived, with sd cards
>> with photos and videos only to be told by the greasy oink in the store
>> with a wolly hat that i can only do the project if i know the mac system
>> to an advanced standard. this totally puzzeled me as i was promised help
>> to migrate from windows to a mac as a big part of this one to one
>> nonsense.
>>
>> I asked what i had signed up for and he basically told me to come back
>> and re-book once i was more familiar with the mac.
>>
>> what a blatant and utter rip off and waste of money. the store also
>> wouldn't give me a refund or clarify exactly what my �89 pays for. they
>> explained again that its for workshops, projects and one to one tuition
>> yet my booked session was not going to happen , thye wouldn't say why
>> except that my mac skills arnt high enough to do the
>> project..duuuhhh??!!! thats why i signed up!!!
>>
>> I had to travel 15 miles to the store, fight for parking only to be
>> turned away by the hyper-sweaty oink in a wolly hat i dont qualify for
>> their training as im not an advanced mac user. I dont see the point in
>> 'doing a project' in an apple store for 3 hours when i could be doing it
>> in the comfort of my own home.
>>
>> how the hell did apple get away with this blatant rip off???
>
> Let others beware!
>
> If you're starting from nothing, then �89 would barely buy you 2 hours
> teaching in your own home from a competent trainer. And it is the
> teaching at the early stage of using a new computer system that is the
> most important.
>
> Once you have that you can probably teach yourself to create a DVD slide
> show, or use mailmerge to create your Christmas card address labels. The
> fundamentals are what allows you to formulate questions in a way that more
> knowledgeable users will understand what it is you're asking, so that you
> will then understand their answers.
>
> Migrating from Windows to Mac is not like buying a new car. Rather it is
> like migrating from using trains to driving your own car - you probably
> wouldn't buy a car without having driving lessons and passing the test!
>
> --
> Graham J

hi graham, i totally 'get' what you say, but so far my �89 has cost me the
travelling expenses to the store, an hour and a half to find parking, add
parking cost and critically, *NO* one to one sesson and no clear explanation
of exactly what i have paid for.

From: GD on
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 23:26:31 +0000, the_niner_nation wrote
(in article <7o08h9F3oanrmU1(a)mid.individual.net>):

> how the hell did apple get away with this blatant rip off???

Someone I know signed up for the one-to-one deal and, once a week,
pulls out his pensioner's bus pas and travels an hour to the nearest
Apple Store. As someone who had no experience of Macs and little
experience of PCs, he has nothing but praise for the clear and patient
instruction he receives and reckons it is possibly the best �79 he ever
spent.

Have a look at what your money should buy you at:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/onetoone/

Then go back to the store and have a moan to the 'concierge'. Their
job, after all, is to 'verbally embrace' you and 'orchestrate your
store adventure in the best possible way':

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/concierge_jobdescription.html

Finally, ask them to refund the �10 they apparently overcharged you and
have them reset your one year clock to zero.

Hopefully, everything should work out as it should after that. Until
then, just settle back and hope that Frank Gore has another career game
today.

--

My email address is geod99 (at) googlemail dot com
You know what to do