From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <BE3D9E55-0A79-4E76-B6F2-AAA8C2CE3970(a)microsoft.com>, GeorgeAtkins
wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I can't believe that the VBA implementation in PPT is
> still so immature that it cannot support inherent auto-macros, like Excel,
> Word and Access.

You'll have to make a few adjustments to your belief system then. ;-)

PowerPoint will automatically run Auto_Open / Auto_Close subs only when they're
included in Add-ins (PPAs). Then Auto_Open runs when the addin loads and only
then.

There's more at http://www.pptfaq.com and http://skp.mvps.org about creating
and using add-ins. Use the search feature at either site to find relevant
info.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

From: GeorgeAtkins on
Thanks for the links, Steve. I'll check them out.

However, I'll stand by my opinion: Having to create an add-in in order to
to fire an Auto-Run macro that is necessary to run an initialization macro in
order to allow PowerPoint to respond to event macros seems like the king of
kludges to me.

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <C15F01FC-2A3B-40F3-AE68-0E3F391EF571(a)microsoft.com>, GeorgeAtkins wrote:
> Thanks for the links, Steve. I'll check them out.
>
> However, I'll stand by my opinion: Having to create an add-in in order to
> to fire an Auto-Run macro that is necessary to run an initialization macro in
> order to allow PowerPoint to respond to event macros seems like the king of
> kludges to me.

Now now ... I didn't suggest that YOUR belief system was wrong or that I disagreed
with it. Just that it and PowerPoint don't see eye to eye. I'm with *you* <g>

For test purposes, you can run code that sets an event trap from within a PPT; you
don't actually have to resort to an add-in, but the concept of scope gets very
jelloteric when you're running non-addin code in the IDE. You may have to run the
code that sets the trap after every break, for example.

For testing, that's not too horrible; for code you're going to turn loose on the
world, it's a non-starter, of course.

> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
> > In article <BE3D9E55-0A79-4E76-B6F2-AAA8C2CE3970(a)microsoft.com>, GeorgeAtkins
> > wrote:
> > > Thanks for the reply. I can't believe that the VBA implementation in PPT is
> > > still so immature that it cannot support inherent auto-macros, like Excel,
> > > Word and Access.
> >
> > You'll have to make a few adjustments to your belief system then. ;-)
> >
> > PowerPoint will automatically run Auto_Open / Auto_Close subs only when they're
> > included in Add-ins (PPAs). Then Auto_Open runs when the addin loads and only
> > then.
> >
> > There's more at http://www.pptfaq.com and http://skp.mvps.org about creating
> > and using add-ins. Use the search feature at either site to find relevant
> > info.
> >

> > >This is especially galling, considering the ability to
> > > create "stand-alone" PPS slide shows, for example. Well, I'm not telling you
> > > anything you don't know, of course.
> > >
> > > George

> > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com