From: Jordon Bedwell on
On 08/07/2010 11:38 AM, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 07/08/10 Jordon Bedwell said:
>

>> You don't need "Software" all you need is a simple bash script that 1.)
>> GZIP's everything but: proc, sys and others, 2.) signs said backup and
>> then encrypts it and 3.) an SSH cert to the other server and the time to
>> make said simple script. You can even use Perl or PHP, both of which
>> support being daemonized so you can do incremental backups or backups of
>> specific files based on changes. I usually prefer the Perl method, but
>> sometimes am forced to use PHP and when clients flat out refuse to let
>> me daemonize I tell them to do it themselves since it's not my problem
>> anyways I was just being nice and send them an SH script that does
>> exactly what I described.
>>
> Personally I pipe tar over ssh so I'm not dependent on enough disk space on
> the machine being backed-up to create a local archive. Plus, it's only one
> command that way.
>
> Mike

I prefer it too but my clients need verbose lists of files that were
backed up in certain places and we grep that out for their automatic emails.
In case the OP wants to know what we're on about, and so we don't stray
to far off topic here is an example of piping tar to SSH:

tar cvpjf server_backup.tar.bz2 --same-owner \
--exclude=/proc/* \
--exclude=/media/* \
--exclude=/dev/* \
--exclude=/mnt/* \
--exclude=/sys/* \
--exclude=/tmp/* \
--exclude=/usr/tmp/* \
--exclude=/lost+found/* \
--exclude=/server_backup.tar.bz2 | ssh client_operator(a)backup.domain.com
"dd of=server_backup.tar.bz2"

Also, to make things more secure, and so you can give clients access to
their own shares, if this is the case, you can easily Chroot SSH to
their client share. And just give them the SSH certificate (which
they'll easily be able to get anyways if they're not dumb so it's better
you go ahead and Chroot ahead of time) so they can pull down their own
backups.

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 05:46:57PM +0200, xserver80 wrote:
> Hi All
> I need to schedule the data backup for 3 servers (2 Debian and 1
> Windows) into a dedicated server.
> The problem is that I can't install any software in none of the data
> source servers (2 Debian and 1 Windows).
> The object of my backup are the data exported with samba (2 Debian
> Server) and ftp server (Win Server).
> That system should mounted the shares (samba and ftp) for download and
> check data in other system server.
> In the future my boss will ask me for the copy of data backup
> exsisting in the dedicated server backup in the LTO type carthage (or
> similar).
> Now I am looking for a software or hardware system to do that.
> If I don't find any dedicated hardware system I will prepare a
> dedicate server with big area storage inside.
> I don't think that a script is a good idea, because I need to keep
> data saved for long tine and I need to check data during or after each
> backup cicle. (check data transfer and dada consistance).
> Can you help me to find a solutions?
> I will evaluate all solutions thet you post me. Whatever, software and
> hardware, commercial or free.
> I must show to my boss the best solution. :-)

I like BackupPC. It's in the Debian repositories. It'll do most of
what you're asking (I'm not sure about the "check data transfer" part).
It saves files to a hard disk, but using the "archive" feature can
export to a tape drive or other removable media.

It has a nice web interface and you can give users rights to restore
their own data, if you want to.

-Rob